Featured Baden rolled gold bracelet with glass stones

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

There is a few odd squiggles, if I didn't know this bracelet was made in Baden I would have thought maybe made in the Middle East due to the marks. This is the best result I can get with my iPad, sorry. The most identifiable mark looks like an = with a couple of dots above alongside it above Made in Baden image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg . Any thoughts about the maker please anyone? Thankyou.

Attached Files:

2. Houseful

For some reason this didn't attach to the other pics image.jpg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. So it will be a Pforzheim jeweller then. Could that be a KJ ? Kollmar Jourdan?

Bronwen, Pat P and Houseful like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

21F04B59-7DD4-4904-8AB8-6499D5BAA38B.jpeg
    Maybe ?F?.

Bronwen, Pat P and Houseful like this.
  5. Houseful

I can’t seem to make a K out of anything there. Seems they were the main makers though. Thanks for the Pforzheim reference, the jewellery museum there looks amazing.

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got some really nice stuff made in Pforzheim - none is pure precious metal, but the quality is lovely.

judy, Pat P, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  7. Houseful

judy and i need help like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. style is consistent with 1919 to 1933 when Baden was a democratic republic and jewellers may have been marking with Baden.
    Wellendorff ?

judy, Houseful and Pat P like this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Have you tried closing it? I'm having trouble picturing the clasp being able to attach to the piece at the opposite end. Which is making me think it's missing the original findings?

judy likes this.
  10. Houseful

Yes, it does close, it's a bit fiddly but looks ok. I thought as you that maybe there was a ring missing, I'm not absolutely sure it is complete. I'll send a picture.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Pat P and judy like this.
  11. Houseful

Thanks, this fits in with the Deco date I was thinking. I can't find any antique Wellendorff online and from the history is seems they weren't making costume only using precious metal. Think maybe this is looking like a small jewelry producer.

judy likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It does look very Deco to me, too.

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If it did not say Baden, I would have thought Scotland or Ireland. Celtic knot type design with stones that also look like something you would see in agate jewellery from that part of the world.

Surely there is more than one letter/symbol there?

upload_2018-10-19_16-23-19.png

judy and Fid like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that may well be. one of the best known spas was Baden, which changed its name officially into Baden-Baden in 1931 only. perhaps a gift from a rich Russian to his belle-de-jour.

judy, Pat P and Bronwen like this.
  15. Houseful

Here's the closure, looks alright to me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  16. Houseful

17. Houseful

@Pat P
    Sorry, the pic of the closure didn't load, I'm on the ipad mini.
    Eventually got there.

Pat P likes this.
  18. Houseful

Thank you everyone. This has been an interesting journey and I feel the bracelet probably was something to do with Theodore Fahrner because of the Celtic design that Bronwen put me on to.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Seeing it closed, it looks to me like the closure is probably the way it was supposed to be since it visually melds right in with the rest of the design. Thanks for showing the photo. :)

judy and Houseful like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It does. Mechanically it looks really ill conceived for an original clasp. I would expect a foldover clasp on a bracelet like this. Could be the latch broke off & someone cleverly did this. Also could be that someone shortened it & replaced the clasp in this solder-free way. If it's any shorter than 7", would suspect shortened.

Draft saved Draft deleted