Featured Baffled by recent find - oil painting fake real?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Hikerthrifter, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hikerthrifter

Hikerthrifter Member

Hi everyone,

I am a new poster and I recently acquired a painting that I am unsure of. I've researched online all I can at this point and still can't say one way or another if this oil painting is real or fake. I know it's impossible to tell 100 percent without seeing in person but I wanted to see if anyone notices anything very glaring that I missed.

I understand there are many many fakes these days but this one just doesn't match what I've seen online. A lot of the Indonesian fakes are smaller, aren't this subject matter, have paper backs, and looks artificially aged whereas this one appears like it could have been remounted? I also examined it with admittedly unprofessional eyes and the brush strokes just don't match the fakes I've seen online, they vary with each area and layer. But as I said, I'm not even amateur I'm a layman.

The good news is I paid very little and like it regardless. Any insights would be appreciated very much. 20171117_233707.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I take it there's no signature? Without a signature to go on (and the fact that the thrift wasn't trying to say it was old and therefore expensive) I wouldn't call it a "fake" per se.

It may be a copy of an older work - it certainly isn't as old as the subject appears to represent, given the brand, spanking new look from the back. It could be a giclee on canvas.

lloyd249, Joshua Brown, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Hikerthrifter

Hikerthrifter Member

Hello, thank you for your reply. :) No signature that I can see, although I haven't taken a magnifying glass to it. Yes the back threw me off as well. I am uneducated with this stuff, but is a relining possible? It had a tag of some sort but it has been removed, will never know what it said.

Anyway I bought it assuming is was some sort of repro but it just seems so strange... The subject matter and the painting itself seem to have age to me, not the frame or back.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I am an amateur as well, so we're in the same boat. ;) I was thinking older until I saw the back. But I don't know how a relined canvas would look. There are a number of members here with much more expertise on the subject. Just be patient and others will be along.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You have a copy of 'Captain Bligh' by Sir Joshua Reynolds.

Debora

6. Hikerthrifter

Hikerthrifter Member

Ah, thank you! Will probably still hang it up somewhere.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd venture it's a print on canvas. Brush strokes in the varnish are not a good sign, and the crackle looks featureless.

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's very nice, Joy.

Joshua Brown, judy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Hikerthrifter

Hikerthrifter Member

I'm actually rather pleased; it seems the only repros of this painting are done by quality places that actually paint them, for the most part. That would explain the good quality mounting.

All in all a decent find for what I paid. Thanks for all the insights.

10. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

if it is hand painted copy I think it would have more decorative value, than the Giclee print repro .But these days Giclee is more faster to make and probably relatively cheaper than hiring artists to copy.
    TTA

Draft saved Draft deleted