Featured Bali Art Deco wood carving. Crazy ashtray.....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Any Jewelry, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just a little show and tell from my Balinese Art Deco collection.
    Balinese Art Deco came about through the influence of the many western artists who lived on Bali at the time. It lasted longer than elsewhere, until ca. 1970.

This is an ashtray in the shape of a lion fish. A Balinese take on a lion fish, that is. When I got it, it was stained and grey from water exposure. It must have been sitting on a patio table for years. A bit of tlc revived it. There are some hairline cracks, but that is not unusual for old Balinese carvings.
    It is signed by Ida Bagus Raka (also spelled Rakah), who was a member of Pita Maha, an important art organisation in the 1930s. Pita Maha wanted to raise the quality of Balinese art, and accepted only the best artists as members.
    When I see some of the junk that came out of Bali since then, I wish Pita Maha would be revived.
    Anyway, here is my crazy ashtray:

DSC08226 (640x428).jpg DSC08227 (427x640).jpg DSC08234 (640x427).jpg DSC08228 (640x406).jpg DSC08230 (640x426).jpg DSC08232 (640x427).jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Wow, great TLC! It looks almost brand new!

Christmasjoy, judy, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Thanks Ghopper. It wasn't even that much effort. I don't understand why the seller didn't do that, but because it was stained and grey I got it for a very sweet price, so no complaints.:happy:

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's very nicely carved, and a beautiful sinuous shape. Seems a bit wasted on an ashtray, but then I imagine it was more intended to be "objet" than functional.

5. Any Jewelry

Yes, that's why I fell in love with it. My other Balinese Deco carvings are mostly dancers, like my avatar picture, and Gods and Goddeses. They have to be graceful. Most of the ones I have are from the 1950s, when there was a fashion for a pensive, almost dreamy look on the faces, which I like.
    But I am finding more 1930s Pita Maha, that is the top period for collectors. I buy the neglected ones, those are still reasonably priced.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT is MUCH too beautiful a carving to me to even THINK of using it for an ashtray, but people will do what people will do!!! WONDERFUL restoration AJ!!!!!!! :):):):)

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Next time you do a restoration, take a "before" pic. Looks nice now but I'm one who may have liked the "old" look better.

8. Any Jewelry

You're right, I should have done that. I have had it for about a year now, at the time I didn't think I'd post it.
    Look and condition are always a matter of taste, of course. When it comes to collectors and value of Bali Art Deco carvings, the cared for look is best. You can see the age through the darker, saturated coloration of the wood. If it was grey, it could be because it was anywhere between 30 to 80 yrs in rain and snow.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Beautiful restoration!

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lovely...& I've always said the carvers from Bali are superb....when they carve their own stuff !

11. Any Jewelry

And when only the gifted ones carve. Not the ones who mass produce figures with Picasso faces that aren't meant to be Picasso faces.

Christmasjoy, all_fakes, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Neat, great restoration job! DON'T! get me started on the restore- no restore conflagration in USA but, i have always believed that art objects should be viewed as their creator intended.

13. Any Jewelry

I agree. To me it is a sign of respect for both the artist and the object to care for a work of art.
    The only reason why Rembrandt's Nightwatch got it's name, is because it was so filthy no one could see the painting properly. After it was cleaned, everyone was surprised that there were so many people in it, and so much detail. That is what Rembrandt intended to show.

Christmasjoy, mmarco102, judy and 4 others like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Or how about the Sistine Chapel ceiling restoration, the before & after are dramatic in appearance. Thing is, if you can restore the most important work of art in the western world, you can restore anything.

Christmasjoy, mmarco102, judy and 3 others like this.
  15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I prefer the term "maintenance" to "restore".............when it was in someone's home/possession, they kept it clean and presentable. Age takes its toll no matter what you do on a regular basis, so once in a while you have to get down on your hands and knees and scrub.

As I have stated on more that one occasion (probably enough times to make some ill), why would you leave brass candlesticks and copper pots dull and covered with "patina" (tarnish) when the housewife who owned them originally would have died of shame to have anyone see her possessions in that condition? Patina is wear, not tarnish and dirt.

16. Ghopper1924

You're both right, how's that? If something is maintained properly, then there should be no need for restoration. Unfortunately, the majority of people don't know how to take care of nice things, even if they should be fortunate enough to have one. At that point I agree with Jacon (still getting used to James): try to get it as close as possible to how the creator intended it.

Simple enough rules to follow, but how often are they? (followed)?

Christmasjoy, mmarco102, judy and 2 others like this.
  17. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

My husband and I restore antique Waltham key wind pocket watches. I am sometimes criticized for cleaning the tarnish from the silver cases. Some people don't understand that the tarnish is actually slowly pitting and damaging the silver. I have seen pocket watch cases badly disfigured from a thick layer of tarnish for a hundred years. The people that criticize me do indeed call it patina. I have always looked at it from the view of stabilizing the piece but you are indeed correct that the gentleman who originally purchased the watch would be deeply saddened to see it black with tarnish!

Christmasjoy, mmarco102, judy and 3 others like this.
  18. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

That is a lovely thing Any Jewelry and now I shall be looking at the bottom of old weathered looking Balinese pieces any time I have an opportunity!

19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The difference between patina and tarnish has driven me insane over the years. Patina on silver is very tiny slight scratches which over time leaves with a whitish look. Tarnish is oxidized silver and turns a nasty color including black. I am sorry but silver with tarnish is NOT patina nor will it ever be in my case.
    greg

20. Ghopper1924

Nor will it EVER be.

Draft saved Draft deleted