Featured Bali woodcarving in frame

Discussion in 'Art' started by blooey, Jul 18, 2020.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Picked this piece up this evening, seller told me she purchased it in a Vancouver antique store in the early 1970's.
    Frame looks like teak and measures approx 20" x 30", not sure what wood the subject is, but it seems more dense and a bit darker in colour.
    I guess it depicts part of the story of Rama? framewpaneldk.jpg

mainpanel.jpg

Any Jewelry, komokwa, dude and 10 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Super, superb

Can't stop looking and getting lost in it !

Any Jewelry, i need help and blooey like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It's about 3" thick too!

5. charlie cheswick

What's something like this worth blooey ?, I can only imagine

The throat grab is so provocative

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'll give you first refusal Charlie!

charlie cheswick likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that'll keep you staring at it for a while..............
    good eye !

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, blooey. But not Bali.
    These 3D friezes and carvings are made in Jepara, on Java's north coast. And yes, teak, from East Java, where the best teak is from. The subjects are from Javanese history and mythology, generally Hindu-based.
    There are so many stories this could have been a scene from. It looks like the character on the far right is Hindu God Indra, wielding his vajra mace.

Although Jepara/Japara has been a woodcarving and furniture manufacturing centre for centuries, I have never seen pre-war 3D friezes. So I guess yours wasn't too old when it appeared in Vancouver in the 70s.

Here is one of mine, depicting Sinta and the Golden Hind, a scene from the Hindu epic Ramayana. It is smaller than yours, but it shows the layered effect very nicely. All carved from one piece of teak. Unfortunately the lacquer is coming loose in places.

upload_2020-7-19_12-19-16.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-19_12-19-30.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info AJ!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I have two other small friezes very much like yours, but luckily are just "raw wood" so there's no finish to come loose.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I think the "raw wood" ones are later than mine. They came to their senses.;)
    There are no flakes or bubbles in the lacquer layer, just lighter patches. Oil etc don't work, and the piece is too intricate to remove the layer. I will just have to live with it.:arghh:

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

these are the other two pieces, sorry the pics are not too good :(

rpaneel.jpg lpanel.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Beautiful nonetheless.:)

komokwa and blooey like this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well last night I took a look and read about the Jepara woodcarvings. They are indeed quite something!

While perusing various examples of Jepara work, looking for similarities between my pieces and the Jepara style, I kept running across a lot of other carvings almost exclusively described as Balinese.
    These pieces were much closer in subject matter and technique to my carvings than what I saw described as Jepara work so what I'm wondering is ...are these "Balinese" carvings I see mis-identified Javanese/Jepara pieces?

As a new student of Balinese style, I think I assumed my pieces were from Bali at first because the figure with the long fingernails at the crest of the frame reminded me of some Balinese masks.

crest.jpg

16. Any Jewelry

It is generally the other way around, all Indonesian art is seen as Balinese.:playful:
    They are neighbouring islands, with ancient trade contacts and alliances.
    Bali used to be a colony of East Java during the Majapahit Empire, 1295-ca 1500. After the fall of Majapahit, the Javanese governors stayed on Bali as kings, and introduced Javanese symbolism and art in Bali. The Balinese kings kidnapped people in East Java and on Madura (near Bali and East Java) for slave labour in agriculture, architecture and crafts. This went on for centuries.
    Around the same time many people from West Java fled to Bali to escape the wars brought about by the introduction of Islam in West Indonesia.
    Because of all these different aspects much of Balinese symbolism is of Javanese origin, though generally not as finely executed.
    The only truly native Balinese art is made by a people called the Bali Aga, it is very rare.

17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

So who's the guy on top of the frame?

18. Any Jewelry

Bonaspati, Lord of the Forests, he protects entrances, gates etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted