Ball cross necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well:)
    Could I have your opinions about the origin of this necklace ? I thought it might be Mexican (because of the balls & clasp) ?? Test as 800 silver, no markings at all. Thank you ! ;):)

IMG_6855.JPG
    IMG_6856.JPG IMG_6857.JPG IMG_6858.JPG

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Links remind me of Van Cleef & Arpels' Alhambra necklace.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quatrefoil.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

As I had to go look that up, indeed, "the quatrefoil is the ancient symbol for good luck. The word is derived from Latin roots and means four leaves. ... In Native American culture, the four leaves of the quatrefoil symbolize the four ends of the earth (much like the points on a compass): North, South, East, and West"

The clasp, the charms, your necklace looks newish to me, but please wait for the opinions of others who know more about jewelry than I do..

Bronwen, KSW, Xristina and 1 other person like this.
  5. Xristina

Thank you !:)
    I was under the impression that 800 silver is not that used these days.. I think maybe Egypt (??) still uses.. but I might be wrong.. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  7. Xristina

8. antidiem

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  9. Xristina

It might be somebody's assembly project, very possible.. ;)
    Thank you for the link, mine are a little bit larger (approx. 1 inch long).. but I'm sure there are different sizes to be found..

antidiem likes this.
  10. antidiem

"Assembly project" - great description! Difficult to describe, but something about the OVERALL FLATNESS of each and something about the appearance of the hanger loops - make them all look like charms. I found the "pattern" of the arrows, but not exactly yours.

The same manufacturer sells the silver balls in various sizes. I searched for various compass / weather-vane combinations with the word "charms" in it. What I found was a plethora of this kind of stuff. Added "celtic" and even more appeared, although I do NOT think yours is celtic in origin. Please retest to be sure yours to be sure they are not just plated with silver, I suspect they may not be solid silver, as most of the charms I found online - were not actually - silver, but has a silver wash or plated.

11. Xristina

Will do, thank you ! I don't want to pass as silver something that's only plated.. :)

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted