Band marked T+M?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, May 5, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey sorry this may be a long shot but the gold scrapper I go to had a gold band that had no purity markings. It did however have a makers stamp of T+M. The marking appeared to be quite old as well. I have no pictures but was hoping someone might know whom this was. I did a bit of research myself and came up with nothing.

On an electronic tester the ring tested good at 12k solid gold which was interesting...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Why is 12K interesting? There are many companies using it.

3. spartcom5

I forgot to mention it fluctuated between 11k and 12k, my bad. And it's interesting because it's the first solid 12k piece I have found out and about. The majority of 12k I find is gf

i need help likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Most Black Hills Gold pieces have 14K,12K and 10K in each piece of jewelry.

i need help and judy like this.
  5. spartcom5

Ah true, don't have any black hills gold myself. Maybe I'll pick the band up just to have a nice piece of 12k. Plus it fit me which is a bonus

i need help, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

happy belated birthday..... @spartcom5

i need help, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe a belated birthday present for yourself? Happy birthday!

komokwa and i need help like this.
  8. spartcom5

Thank you! Here is the ring, it is actually marked T+H? Anyhow the 12k gold color on this piece is vibrant. On the electrical tester there was good amount of silver in the ring. In the light it is very yellow and gives off a slight green hue. I read on a website 12k solid was used in wedding bands in the Late Victorian era?? Here is the site I saw that on https://www.vermaestatejewelry.com/blogs/articles/discovering-the-eras-of-jewelry
    20190507_211728.jpg 20190507_211750.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's spooky, I've just been looking at a bangle I've got with that stamp and wondered who T+H were!

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  10. spartcom5

Post a picture of the piece and mark?

i need help and komokwa like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It was gold plated but most has worn off now.
    Still quite a pretty bangle though.
    Doesn’t seem to be anything on google for T+H!

734BC869-2869-4B0C-8682-C465480DB2E1.jpeg 2E063B79-3EF8-4985-B42A-D83F5FB220B9.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Possibly Thomas Hopwood according to an eBay listing but I haven’t researched.

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Stop the clock!
    5C891E9E-2832-4A51-9B47-67931B406D14.jpeg

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

First time ever I've managed to be of help!. You must have been on a coffee break INH:hilarious::hilarious:

17. spartcom5

Awesome work! This would make so much sense because my ring came in a group of rings. One from Birmingham and one from London. It is undoubtedly Thomas Hopwood! I didn't think I was going to identify this mark. Not even a well known estate jeweler who has a website of foreign hallmarks knew whom it was. Thank you! I will let her know so she can add it in!

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. spartcom5

I unfortunately had to return the ring as it turned out to be gold filled.... I got out a loupe and looked closely at the edges of the ring and could see small spots where the gold was wearing off showing a different metal underneath. I guess TH was strictly an imitation jewelry company. It's a bummer because the ring itself was nice but not nice enough for the gold scrap price of $100. I wanted to keep the ring at a cheaper price but it was either keep it or get a full return. I'm sure I can put the $100 to better use though!
    20190512_161315_resized.jpg

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Looking at the advert they only advertise GF,RG and plated. At least we all know for the future who T&H are!

Draft saved Draft deleted