Bangles with Real Garnets?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 9, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I looked at these four bangles and turned them down because I assumed they were glass beads. I came back home and out of curiosity, I googled Garnet Bangle and found this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/729920...f=sr_gallery-2-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1
    Though mine are different, they have the same form of wire and alternating beads. I liked the date of the 1960's. When I went back to find them, they were gone. I looked for several days, as they move stuff around the shop every day, and lo and behold, they reappeared today. The dealer who comes in about the time I get there looked at them with his loupe and said they were real garnets. Each bead is a different size, if that means anything. I set a light underneath them, since @Bronwen suggested this as a test of real garnets. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

IMG_8037.jpg IMG_8038.JPG IMG_8039.JPG IMG_8040.JPG IMG_8041.JPG IMG_8044.JPG IMG_8045.JPG

judy and KSW like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bronwen has no recollection of saying this. The irregular shapes are a good indicator of real stones.

Interesting design. Do the stone beads slide within their section?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    judy and KSW like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Sorry. You're right - it was @Hollyblue, who suggested the light. We were discussing garnets versus carnelians in the Georg Jensen piece. I showed the result to both of you.

Irregular shapes - I thought I read that here. Thanks. The beads are mobile.

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Shining a light through the back of a stone let's us know what is inside the stone..... air bubbles,inclusions,nothing.

Unless something comes out of a mold for glass stones,the stones will be irregular in shape if hand cut without precision machinery.Many coming from India in the past were shaped and polished by children mostly under the age of 14.There is no precision machinery just a disc and their hands

kyratango, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Ah I didn't know what you derived from this test. Thank you. Using children to create these pieces is a sad thing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The beads on the Etsy bangle are probably real garnets, yours look very much like Indian glass microbeads, with their irregular shapes and sizes, and many flattened sides.
    The indentation around the beadhole on some of your beads, making them look like donuts, are also a sign of glass. As you can see, the Etsy beads are all round and roughly the same size, and no donut look.;)
    Maybe have yours tested?

7. KikoBlueEyes

AJ Thanks so much for this detailed analysis. I very much appreciate your giving me these insights on what to look for. I have no particular affection for these, so I won't bother to pay to have them tested. (No one does anything for free around here.) I initially rejected them as beads. I only bought them because the reseller said they were garnet. I'll just donate them back. Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted