Barbour domed repousee metal box - help ID'ing the scenes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Sep 4, 2015.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This box has issues but it is unusual & might possibly be of interest to someone. I ID'd the mark as Barbour, but I don't know if they did metals other than silverplate. I would think that if this piece was originally silver plated that there would be some spots still evident but there is not.

Does anyone recognize any of the scenes on the lid & can help with what they represent? There are a total of 6 different scenes on the lid & a different scene on the sides of the lid, but I was hoping you could get the gist from these four. It measures 5 3/4" by 3 3/8" & is 4 7/8" to the top of the lid.

[​IMG] [​IMG] I get a doctoring vibe from this one. [​IMG] [​IMG] This might be religious d/t cross.[​IMG] [​IMG] Is there a term used for these?[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :kiss::kiss:
    Peggy

KingofThings likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Generic mock medieaval, I'd say, with a touch of crusades for period flovour.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Was this the week we were all supposed to show brass boxes like this????
    I forgot to put it in my phone's calendar... ;)
    ~
    3rd one I think. :)

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

As to material, the EP part of the mark does mean electro-plated, although to my eyes, if it was plated with silver, the silver is long gone. Does the green come off or is it too far advanced?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The caption for the 5th photo down is "You keep feeding it those round things and maybe it won't eat us. I'll go get more and I'll be be RIGHT back!"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yer man with the cross is an English mediaeval king. Dunno who.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Possibly scenes from the life of David? The first might be an annunciation. The second: David playing the harp for King Saul. The third: David enthroned, wearing a cross as he was considered an ancestor of Christ. The fourth: showbread on an altar in the temple. All pure conjecture. It was common practice in medieval times to depict biblical events in present day contexts and garb.

KingofThings and Ladybranch like this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

LOL! That scene might be of Jesus with 7 loaves of bread. There seems to be 6 round loaves on the stand and 1 loaf in his hands. The 2nd pic might be portraying Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead or healing the sick. In the 3rd pic, the man on our right looks like he is in shackles. Not sure what the standing man on our left is doing. Hmmmm.... looks like he is about to shoot himself with a pistol aimed at his own face!

Agree with Owned that the 4th pic looks like a medieval king wearing a crown and has a cross on his whatever. The shape of the his head with the beard looks a bit like how Charlemagne is portrayed.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The cross is St George's, so English or maybe Knights Templar.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What Ladybranch says is just as plausible... maybe more so.

I think this may be another instance where this is a souvenir reproduction of some real medieval piece.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

As is your explanation! The man behind the table with the loaves appears to be wearing some type of headdress rather than long hair like Jesus is usually portrayed. The headdress looks like a head cloth an Egyptian might wear (a shortened nemes)? With the table that decorated another thought is Joseph of the "coat of many colors" fame handing out bread to his brothers who have come to Egypt during the famine.

"I think this may be another instance where this is a souvenir reproduction of some real medieval piece."

I agree. This casket trinket box appears to be decorated with a mishmash of medieval Biblical renderings.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's interesting (at least to me) that in the scene with the altar, there seems to be another figure standing to the left whose head has been cut off by the decorative framing of the scene above.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

Maybe that's Mr. Slauson? :wideyed::eek::rolleyes:

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!
    das a good one !!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

And I just knew YOU would get that. ;)

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well that's it then.....no more mystery left in me ! :):)

KingofThings likes this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

As to material, the EP part of the mark does mean electro-plated, although to my eyes, if it was plated with silver, the silver is long gone. Does the green come off or is it too far advanced?

Whatever it is made from it is not attracted to a magnet. I was able to clean a little bit of the greenies off, but not everything, using some vinegar.

Thanks to everyone for all of your comments, ideas & suggestions!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:
    Peggy

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted