Bartender mug ...shaving mug?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Evangeline Gutierrez, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Does anyone know anything about this mug? Shaving mug? Coffee?
    531BD551-18F1-46DC-A29C-2234441F4C1B.jpeg 3484A7B4-0FBE-4135-A2B6-401528BA3C5F.jpeg 2E4078A3-2FB8-49A5-A7CD-709510696991.jpeg 3484A7B4-0FBE-4135-A2B6-401528BA3C5F.jpeg

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Apparently that kind of handle is almost always a shaving mug, for your future reference. : -)

I just learned this here as I had posted something similar.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Late '50s/early '60s. Old tyme-y repro of a shaving mug. More decorative, I'd think. Men had been using safety razors for generations by then and drinking coffee from mugs was uncommon.

"National Potteries corporation (also known as Napco) was started in 1938 in Bedford, OH. Napco was initially a producer of decorative floral containers, but they soon began importing items like glassware, pottery, and ceramic items from Japan.

Much to the chagrin of the American based pottery companies that opened after WWII, Japanese ceramic imports peaked from 1956 to the early 1960’s and it is estimate that this is the time period that many of the figurines were produced. Napco has held the interest of collectors because the ceramic items are consistently well-designed.

Napco used multiple manufacturer marks for their head-vases and figurines with some being transfer marks and others being paper labels. The following could be found on their paper labels: "A Napco Collection," "Napco Originals by Giftware," "National Potteries Co., Cleveland, OH, Made in Japan," and "Napcoware, Import Japan." The “Napcoware” figurines, which are seen as being lesser in quality by some collectors, but this is not a universal consensus."

Debora

6. Thanks for all the responses. I kinda figured it might be a shaving mug. I was just having trouble with the markings. My uncle had one from Old Spice, I think he still uses it. Found this one at a thrift store.

7. I used my jewelry loop and was able to see the sticker much better. It does say NAPCO Ceramics Japan and the serial # is S294B. Should have used that to begin with. But thanks all....this forum is the best!

Draft saved Draft deleted