Featured Basket - Lozi, Buka, or Other?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 2manybooks, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

@Taupou, @komokwa
    I recently acquired this basket, and am looking for opinions on its origin. It is, I believe, an atypical form. The technique and designs remind me of Buka and Lozi/Barotse basketry - single rod coil, with narrow, closely spaced stitching. But the method also appears in Asian/Philippines basketry. The herringbone rim finish looks similar to Buka handles. Unfortunately, I cannot be sure of the actual materials used. The bowl and stem are tight and solid, but a little wobbly at the junction. I have tried to take photos of the potentially diagnostic features. It is 7" tall, 9" in diameter.
    Thanks in advance. Basket - goblet 1 (719x800).jpg Basket - goblet 3 (800x751).jpg Basket - goblet 7 (800x450).jpg Basket - goblet 4 (800x366).jpg
    Basket - goblet 2 (800x696).jpg Basket - goblet 5 (800x725).jpg Basket - goblet 6 (800x450).jpg .

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I have never seen this particular form of Buka basket. But like you say, it's atypical. It has the other characteristics you'd expect in a Buka basket, weaving techniques and design patterns. But the material looks more like nito vine, which is known for its variation in color from tan to dark brown. Buka baskets don't use nito, and the design patterns tend to be very solid in color, not varigated.

I don't think it's Lozi. Colors are similar, but Lozi coiled baskets are generally made from makenge root, which has a slightly different appearance, a little less shiny. Plus this rim finish isn't traditionally used on Lozi baskets.

That leads me to believe it's Iraya-Mangyan, from the Philippines, where nito is used, as is the rim finish, and these design patterns. Usually the material a basket is made from is the most important identifying feature. One of the hardest to learn to identify, but everything else can be done by any accomplished basket maker, anywhere. They usually have to use local materials, however.

janettekay, Figtree3, reader and 3 others like this.
  3. 2manybooks

Thank you, @Taupou. I really appreciate your describing the features of the materials. You help me learn what to see.

reader, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice basket....... i like it for Philippines too....and yes...unusual.
    Maybe Romblon.........for the colors......but I'm reaching..;):wideyed::wideyed:

Figtree3, reader, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

Thanks, komo. :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted