Basket the "Couple Different Items" were in....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi again!! I'm back with the "lidded basket".....6" long X 2 5/8" high X 4 3/8" wide. Is it made of some sort of reed?? Seems to be varnished as well...pretty shiny. Should I have shown the inside of the lid too?? MANY THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Basket1.jpg Basket2.jpg Basket3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Chinese rush basket, made for export.
    When Nixon opened up the Chinese market after his famous visit there, these types of small trinket baskets flooded into the USA.
    I'm not certain they have ever stopped ............

3. Aquitaine

Thanks Komo.....I know it's at least 40+ years old....Mom had (I now have! several shapes and sizes!!)....they're kinda neat anyway even if of no value!!:smug::smug:

4. komokwa

Well, maybe ...little value.
    Folks do buy them, for the pretty little things that they are , but sadly they have also ended up in NA collections identified as Nootka / Makah baskets ....having been bought for much greater sums of money , than what they're actually worth.

5. Aquitaine

Mom did go through a NA period....when Dad had to go to Arizona on business, she went one or two times (MANY moons ago!) and came back with much....you probably will appreciate this.....at one point she had an amazing Charles Lloma bracelet and rings.....it all went!!!! :(:(:(:(

6. komokwa

WENT WHERE ???
    Point me in that direction>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :eek::)

7. komokwa

Oh wait....if it was Lloma....fergetit...

If on the other hand it was Loloma ......

[​IMG]

I'm comin over right away !!!!! :smuggrin::smuggrin:

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. Sometimes called "Nixon-era baskets" or "prisoner baskets" because they were reputed to be made by Chinese prisoners, and began to be imported during Nixon's VP and presidential tenure, so as long ago as the 1950s.
    They are still being made, imported and sold today - and still showing up on ebay as Nootka/Makah/Alaskan/Inuit. I've seen others that the owner knew to have been in the family since 1958 - but there were import shops in 1958, and there are import shops in Canada, Alaska, and in the SW too.

Taupou and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Dealer bought them.......we had done our homework....and I remember Mom buying them......what's the difference in spelling you're talking about......???
    Never mind........I just figured it out!!!! It was DEFINITELY Charles Loloma... his stuff was GORGEOUS!!!!! NO COMPARISON ANYWHERE!!!!!! I just didn't remember the spelling!!

And again, having two other siblings and trying to keep it all equitable..... didn't leave a whole lot of choice!!! Also, Mom was one who liked her stuff on the large side, and that's what the bracelet was!!!! The rings too!! She loved to wear big jewelry.....not me....I'm lucky if I put on a watch aside from wedding rings and a favorite frog ring.....NOT large!!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  10. komokwa

I was just pullin yer chain about the spelling....! :happy::rolleyes::rolleyes:

His stuff is legendary !

11. Aquitaine

Yeah, I know/knew.....I just can't/couldn't wear large jewelry!!!! Too bad.....that was GORGEOUS!!!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted