Batak Rider?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 2manybooks, Dec 29, 2018.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry, I wanted to ask your opinion on this fellow that I picked up recently. He looks Batak to me. The last owner's used the cup on his head for a candle holder, but I don't know if he might have a more traditional use. Probably tourist ware?
    P1080071 (286x640).jpg P1080072 (264x640).jpg P1080073 (263x640).jpg P1080074 (363x640).jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes tourist ware, and yes it is Batak. Probably late 20th century.
    It is based on traditional sacred objects carved with Singa and rider.

The bearded figure is often described as a deity or an ancestor. He is riding a Singa, which to the Batak is a protective mythical beast which is closely related to the Naga of other Indonesian cultures.
    The Singa has the dragon/water serpent qualities of the Naga, usually a humanoid face, and occasionally water buffalo features. The name is taken from the Sanskrit word for lion, an animal which is unknown to the Batak. But what's in a name.;)
    Singas are seen a lot in Batak carvings, as house protectors, for instance.
    Singa riders used to be made for items used only by the Datu or shaman, like medicine vessels and magico-shamanic staffs. They also have a protective quality.

The Batak carvers have accommodated to tourism to some extent. Traditional motifs are carved on souvenirs they hope will sell. Since this is a tourist carving I doubt there is any connection with a traditional item, so it could have been intended as a candle stick.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Any time, 2many.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted