Featured Battered (with chips) rattan(?) veneered nestling trays

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

The instant my eyes saw these I thought of the contact pattern on the flexible material used to connect to LCD displays on calculator and such. The interior pattern also looked like integrated circuits and being an electronics nerd I rushed to the bank and got a loan for $2.50 and bought them from the lovely op shop person. All have damage. The big one is missing a thumb sized piece of veneer from the side. The small one has a dent on the top of the wall section and the middle one has some dings in the middle. They seem to be made of various thin veneers of what I think is rattan glued on a wooden former giving the impression on being inlaid. Some of the veneers are made up of 1mm strips dyed in various colours, some wide painted strips and some are individual small blocks outlined with 1mm strips. The large one has a sticker on the rear but most data has been lost. I tried googling with words like rattan/nestled/trays/inlaid etc but couldn’t seem to locate others as intricate or similar as this set. Is there a name for this type of work? Any idea of country of manufacture?

Cheers

Stephen
    oops forgot the data - big tray is 20.7cm (8.1") square

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    komokwa, Tom Mackay and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm deeply disappointed, as I was expecting baby birds. :pigeon::pigeon::pigeon:

sabre123 and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Fried chickens???:bag::bag::bag:

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

:chicken:? Squab!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Well, some sort of nestlings.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I was hung up on potato chips...then I realized the OP is from Oz, and maybe he meant crisps...then there were the nesting trays, and rattan...

Bronwen and sabre123 like this.
  7. Bronwen

It was the nestling trays that got my hopes up. Could picture nine nestlings nestling as a replacement for Nine ladies dancing...:singing:

8. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I looked too closely - now my head's spinning.

Fid and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They're pretty, but I don't see wicker as the material. Don't know what else to call it, but not wicker.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

11. Miscstuff

Bronwen likes this.
  12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Never knew there Was such a thing! The things one learns here!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted