Bavaria plate - signed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by antidiem, Oct 15, 2019.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Bulgaria-Plate2x.jpg Bulgaria-Plate1x.jpg Bavaria-Plate3x.jpg I bought this "Thomas" Bavaria cake plate (about 7" diameter) and I noticed it's signed. The salesman at the dump recycle place didn't want to let it go out of his hand into mine to sell it to me. So I decided to look it up and cannot find it. I've seen plenty of roses on hand painted plates before, but the closest plate I could find is for sale at an online site called "wanelo".

I hope somebody can help me to read the name and give me some information in general about this cute cake plate. It looks art deco.

And if anyone has used, or has heard of, "wanelo" as a potential website to sell items on, please let me know. I'm looking for an alternative to the top 6 (ebay, etsy, amazon, ruby lane, fb marketplace, craigslist).

https://wanelo.co/p/26356625/thomas...ntique-stouffer-studio-orange-yellow-art-deco

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Aquitaine likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Granger

antidiem likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Home decorated, purchased as a blank - Nice design!

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. antidiem

Thanks, INH, I would never have read "Granger" from that.

Thanks, Blooey, I thought it could be a handpainted blank plate to start with, but I don't know what the reference to "Bavaria" means?

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the company was located in Marktredwitz in Bavaria. IMO this is not necesserally a blank but a post-WWII model.

antidiem and judy like this.
  6. antidiem

Thanks @Fid , for giving me the name of the town gave me something more to google about.

I noticed Rosenthal purchased the Thomas factories (on more than one occasion?) but don't understand the association of the Thomas Company with the Rosenthal Company other than building sales? Yet the two companies' china wares seem to often be sold together online nowadays..

7. antidiem

Also, would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the pattern of my plate could represent? It's not quite Holly Berry, from my viewpoint.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

rowan. everywhere in Europe.
    or in Bavaria rather cowberry, very often eaten as jam with Schnitzel and game.

SBSVC and antidiem like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Marktredwitz was an important railway crossing and the original founders received a building plot directly along the railway line by the Protestant church. most probably for lesser money than a catholic would have received it...:jawdrop:

antidiem likes this.
  10. antidiem

Draft saved Draft deleted