Featured Beachcombing jewelry blob...or...?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Caribou's House, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Found this on a beach. Thought it might be a bead off a necklace at first but I don't see a hole or any indication it was attached to something. And the shape is pretty odd, almost natural formation in appearance. Seems like some yellowish glass or some type of resin or pearl like material. Friend or foe? IMG_20180222_125332.jpg IMG_20180222_125320.jpg
    Any idea?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Part of an old stopper from something?

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Probably completely incorrectly, my first idea was ambergris. Does it have any odor?

4. Caribou's House

It does have that appearance, doesn't it. Never thought of that. It's pretty small, though.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Caribou's House

No odor. I washed it with dishwasher liquid. Would that take the odor away? I'll have to do some research on ambergris. Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The bottom photo is blurry,but it looks like a carved snake and something else on the piece.

7. Caribou's House

I have found pics online of snail fossils where the animal structure has been replaced by colorful minerals like agate and quartz. Could this be one?

8. Caribou's House

9. Bronwen

What a lovely thing! Here are some others. I can see the possibility. How does that tubular bit that almost looks like a snail's siphon connect with what might be the coil of the shell? Or does it? If it's not too late to edit, maybe adding fossil to the title will get some eyes on it that 'jewelry blob' will not.

Caribou's House and judy like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

What a find! And an undrilled mystery:cyclops:
    It does look as a carved rose to me, like some Chinese beads
    [​IMG]

Figtree3, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  11. Caribou's House

Those beads really look like it but they are carved on all sides. I suppose the water and pressures could have done a number on mine over time.

I'm going with fossilized Chinese bead!

Thanks all.

kyratango, Bronwen and judy like this.
  12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I second this.

13. KC Antique

KC Antique New Member

Don't know where you are located at...but items are still washing up on shore from previous tsunamis! Was in Hawaii recently and a barnacle covered bottle was on the beach early in the morning - marked to indicate it was from that time period! Looks like it could have been a bead (like the others indicated) or the ornate top on a perfume bottle!
    (Sorry cant post pics of my find - joined here months ago and for some unknown reason I cannot get the email to confirm my account! Can't get in touch with anyone either! )

kyratango and judy like this.
  14. Bronwen

You are evidently not the only one to experience this problem. May help to read this & call on @daveydempsey

kyratango likes this.
  15. KC Antique

KC Antique New Member

Bronwen, thank you for trying to help but your "this" link shows up as:
    "Antiques Board Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action"
    and I have not been able to link in to the moderator and heaven knows I have tried!
    Thank you for your kindness!

kyratango and judy like this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@ KC Antique

What happens is this. The emails are being sent to you, but they are simply not getting to you. Why ? There are several possible reasons.
    1 - the emails may be in your SPAM folder.
    2 - your email provider may be blocking emails from Antiquers because they think the emails are SPAM.
    3 - the email program (software) that you use may be blocking emails from Antiquers because that program thinks the emails are SPAM.
    4 - you may inadvertently be the reason yourself because of the settings you are using on your email program.
    5 - it may be the anti-virus or security software you are using, and or the settings you chose when you set that program up.

kyratango, judy and daveydempsey like this.
  17. Bronwen

Sorry about that. The Internet works in mysterious ways: you are able to post comments on threads but not to access the thread where davey outlines the possible causes of problems getting fully registered? Holly pasted some of it in for you & davey 'liked' that post, so assuming he is aware of your situation.

kyratango likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The area at the top of the main page (Announcements, Introductions, Support and General Discussion) are available only to members.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes...but only members can post ! So.....Glitch..

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was simply explaining why KC did not have sufficient privileges to see that thread (which is in the members only area.) Why guests who have been able to register but who are not yet "confirmed" can post in the public areas is a separate subject.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted