Bead work overload

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

OK, I do not collect women's clothing, and don't want to start. I need something new to collect like I need a hole in the head. My wife and daughters wouldn't want it, so I mostly just ignore it. But sometimes I see things headed for a dumpster, though, and I just can't let it happen. So having never paid attention to beadwork before, here I am posting two dresses with what looks to me to be pretty amazing hand beadwork. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Neither dress has any labels. Done on sewing machines, but with added snaps. I don't even recognize the material, but very very fine, is it silk? The beadwork looks hand-done to me, but is it - and if so where and when? Europe, native america, china, ??? I can take more pics if I'm not showing the right parts. The red dress has a beaded jacket with shoulder pads that goes over a full length dress. The black dress is also a full length dress, beaded at top all the way around neckline and down front, and all around the bottom, with what looks like gold thread.

Condition of both is pretty great it seems to me. But was whoever put this in the junk pile right? Does this deserve to go in a dumpster? Or maybe it should at least go to a thrift store? Or if there is a demand for things like this, then what is it called?
    P3223574.JPG P3223575.JPG P3223576.JPG P3223577.JPG P3223578.JPG P3223579.JPG P3223580.JPG P3223582.JPG P3223583.JPG P3223584.JPG

reader and komokwa like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hate to be a bore but... Clothing is usually dated by the silhouette. Could/would you photograph them both hanging? No zippers? Linings? The red looks like a manmade fiber and the black a gauze. Newer rather than older to my eye but I'd like to see additional photographs.

Debra

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Born2it and komokwa like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely NOT trash-worthy. I don't think either is really ancient, but I think the red one is early 60s or back into the 50s. The seams on the dress are pinked rather than serged, and the changeover happened about 1963. Not sure about the black one.

Born2it and reader like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Can we see any closures, ie: zippers, buttons, hooks/eyes?
    I think I see a nylon zip on the red one.
    I'm thinking newer... and possibly from India...

reader likes this.
  5. Jeff Drum

My wife has a mannequin I can put them on tomorrow, I'll take more pics. Glad you didn't ask me to try them on. Is there a non-destructive test to figure out whether man-made or natural fiber?

p.s. There is a Talon metal zipper on the red dress, but no zippers on the jacket or other dress - what looks like a zipper may be some of the beading. I'll get pics tomorrow.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I think I see now... what looks like nylon zipper teeth in your third photo is actually the beaded edge of the jacket?
    Looking forward to photos of the Talon zipper. :)

7. Jeff Drum

Well that took longer than I expected. The mannequin didn't work for either dress because neither one would go over the shoulders, so I hung them on a hanger instead. When I unzipped the zipper on the red dress (zipper on one side, not the back), I found a tag as shown. Zipper is definitely aluminum type metal, but painted red. Looked again, black dress still no tag or zipper, just snaps. I'll start with the red dress pics.
    P3233597.JPG P3233600.JPG P3233599.JPG P3233605.JPG P3233598.JPG P3233606.JPG P3233601.JPG P3233607.JPG P3233595.JPG P3233602.JPG

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1930s perhaps into the 1940s. The jacket is a bolero. Here's something similar from 1938 with embroidery.

Debora

thumbnail.asp.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    komokwa and Jeff Drum like this.
  9. Jeff Drum

Last two pics of the red jacket, then the black dress.

Black dress had to pin one of the shoulder straps which was no longer attached to dress; tried to do it symmetrically. Too bad it wouldn't go on the mannequin, since it seems to lose shape and hang much more than the other due to all the beading on the dress. The inner dress is a satin like material, with an outer gauzy material that is incredibly fine, you can see my hand through the arm, though it is holding the weight of all the beading. Belt on the back attaches with metal snaps on both sides on the front.
    P3233603.JPG P3233604.JPG P3233610.JPG P3233613.JPG P3233616.JPG P3233608.JPG P3233609.JPG P3233614.JPG P3233611.JPG P3233612.JPG

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Born2it likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The black dress appears to be earlier. I'm not familiar with that silhouette. Would the "shoulder straps" be visible when worn? Or do you think they're hanger straps?

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think the black dress rather avant garde. Natural waist but low ruffle an unusual combination. Pre-1920s I'd think. The 1920s waist was dropped.

Debora

il_570xN.2188430075_r2j4.jpg

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given condition and elaborate beading, I'd think both of interest to collectors. And I'd think beading European.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, I'd think the black dress was from the immediate pre- or post-World War I era. The thin natural waist, the long sleeves, the idea of an overskirt. Is there a drawstring to tighten the skirt above the ruffle?

Debora

teensdrapeddresspattern.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My daughter would wear the blue bird one in a heart beat.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bet it's very attractive on. Although probably tiny, tiny.

Debora

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

18. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff, Here’s a fiber burn chart with instructions if you want to figure out fabric content (it’s not as scary as it may seem, lol).

They recommend using a 1” piece but you don’t need quite so much. Check the seams for a little extra fabric you can snip (& of course check back here if you’re unsure).

https://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Burn-Test-Chart.html

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, the company name changed to Talon in 1937 so that's your earliest date for the red dress.

Debora

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted