Featured Beaded Box and Pine Needle Woven Basket - Origin?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jun 18, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this nicely beaded box in excellent condition, which means to me it was fabricated as a tourist item. Next to it was a small basket woven of pine needles that I assume came from the same donor. The beaded box appears to have dyed cloth underlying the bead work and a woven bottom. It is 5 1/4 inches tall and 4 1/4' squarish at this widest points. The basket is much smaller at 2 3/4" tall and 4 1/4" in diameter. Can anyone tell me where these may have come from? Any comments, thought, ideas appreciated.

IMG_1127.jpg IMG_1129.jpg IMG_1134.jpg IMG_1136.jpg IMG_1132.jpg IMG_1131.jpg IMG_1130.jpg IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1138.jpg IMG_1139.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

Perfect. I love the story of what they were used for. In hand, the work is quite beautiful. It's nice to know that it is a real object that was used. Thanks so much for telling me what it is.
    The little woven basket I didn't have much hopes for, but I thought I would try to find out.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is a lovely basket. I would have snapped it up.

judy, Bronwen, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

:)

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The little Pine Needle basket is interesting to me. I always remove the needle sheaths before I make one. I don't recall seeing any with the needle sheaths still on. The raffia work is nice too. I never had enough skill to do it like that, of course I have never set my mind to it.
    Round ones are very difficult to make (for me). I prefer to make ovals. I would have bought that one just to study how it was done. Looks like it would be a cool Beer Coozie! LOL

Any Jewelry, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Hmmm. Beer coozie. Great to hear from an actual basket weaver! Thanks for the comments about this little basket. It helps me formulate what to do with it. Since it represents some skill and is interesting. I’ll have to find someplace to protect it and display it. Obviously someone took care of these baskets before they were donated. They are clean and dust free. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    judy, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love both baskets, Kiko.:)
    It is from south Sumatra, either Lampung or Bengkulu.
    Some say it is a betel basket, others say a dowry basket for gifts from the groom's family to the bride.
    Maybe the design is a clue to the actual use, but my knowledge of south Sumatran symbolism doesn't extend beyond keris and silverware.
    The shape is very much like that of betel baskets, so let's ask @Taupou .:)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    judy, reader, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

As usual, more definitive with excellent information. Thank you for looking and loving :kiss:. I agree, these baskets, now I have had a change to study them, each speak to a highly evolved skill set. The beaded one especially of folk art. Thank you for looking at it. I will await @Taupou's thoughts.:):):)

judy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would agree that the beaded one is a typical storage basket from southern Sumatra. Today they are primarily used as decorative items, not necessarily used as dowry or wedding baskets, or betel baskets, although I suppose one can be used to hold just about anything that fits in it.

As far as the pine needle basket goes, there is really no way of telling who made it, or where it came from. No Native Americans traditionally used pine needles in their basketry, but today it's a widely popular type of basket, made by crafts people from all over, of all ethnic backgrounds. There are instructions on line, many books featuring how to make them, and kits available through crafts supply stores that include the pine needles plus instructions and everything needed to make "genuine pine needle baskets." I've seen baskets made with and without the needle sheaths left on, and with various stitching patterns made with the raffia.

2manybooks, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Taupou, Thank you so much for your interest and comments. I appreciate your insight into what the beautiful beaded basket is being used for today. Whatever it's purpose, I take great pleasure in it's tactile, three dimension art form.
    I knew the little pine basket wasn't anything special. I wish I knew more about what to look for, as I see woven baskets all the time. I picked this one up because it looked like some skill was used in its making.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted