Beat up metal and glass tray - mark ID?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by aaroncab, Feb 15, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Picked this up for a couple bucks mainly just so I can see if anyone knows about the mark on the bottom side of one of the handles. I'll get around to spiffing it up soon. Doesn't stick to a rare earth magnet. The glass it relatively thick. The yellowish discoloration on the metal is on the surface, some kind of gunk, I've been able to clean a bit of it off so I know it's on the surface. Anyone recognize the mark? (Crossed swords with the letters C E D - inside a shield - see pic) Thanks again!

~

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From the size of it (what I can see) makes me think it might have been for ladies perfumes, etc. The gunk just could be hair spray? Also from the look of the shield on the bottom, one wonders if it could be a silver with a gold wash on it??? Tis a puzzle, for sure, but that's a guess of mine! I cropped that shield, and tried 'reverse image' search on Google and got nothing but weird black and white images :(:(

I hope you show us when you're done how nice it looks!!!!!:):):)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was thinking cordial glasses, but vanity tray seems like a better suggestion.

judy, Sandra, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Looks like it to me! Crossed axes, not swords. Very nice! Thank you Misc! Guess this means this is silver plated.

Googling Carl Deffner bring up some very beautiful art nouveau pieces - much more interesting than mine :) Thanks again!

Figtree3, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very stylish. Looks like it could be an early Carl Deffner piece, it still has that Art Nouveau elegance.
    I agree with Aqui and Bronwen, a vanity tray.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother had a lovely brass vanity tray set that included a mirror, brush, and a jar with a matching brass lid, very ornate. My Dad sold it after she passed. :(. I agree that's what this probably is.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Your tray is more simple, but lovely also.

aaroncab and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Classic lines.

aaroncab likes this.