Beautiful antique painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mango89, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Mango89

Mango89 Member

This was a great find i think. It's from a smaller painter who was active around the 1920's. He was not great, most of his paintings were average. Still an average painting from him costs something like € 200 or so.
    The seller didn't know the name of the painter so i got it for really cheap. It was just € 65.
    Even better, this is one of his better paintings, i really like it!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's nice....but who's the artist ?

3. Mango89

Mango89 Member

Istvan Kurländer.

4. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

not topnotch really. but perhaps someome in Israel is interested, he's on file in yad vashem.

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dimensions of image?

What is the name of the monetary unit which you abbreviate "C?"
    In the US that might be read as C-notes, $100. each, but I have a feeling it isn't related to US currency.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or anyone with Hungarian ancestry, for that matter. Hungarian Jewish stuff is a fairly specialized market.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Spring - that's not a C, it's a Euro sign. ;)

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Spring, that's the European euro.

9. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

not necesserally Hungarian Jewish, although he most pobably has ended up there. Kurland is an old German name for a province of the old state of the Teutonic Order.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Spring,
    When using the keyboard you can type the € symbol by using the number keyboard at the far left. Be sure to have the scroll lock button on then push ALT down and type 0128 on the number keypad and the symbol will appear. Doing the same you can type 0163 for the £ sign just remember to hold the ALT key down.
    greg

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Istvan is the Hungarian version of Stefan/Stephen. Last names in that area are pretty fluid, especially if the user is Jewish, but I've never known an Istvan who didn't have at least one Hungarian parent.
    http://budapestauction.com/kurlander-istvan/painter

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi Mango, welcome to the boards! This is a colorful tranquil painting but is that a lot of damage on the right side?

Draft saved Draft deleted