Featured Beautiful antique Reinhold Hanke stein - any value without a lid?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I've had this old stein for about a year. I love it for it's skillful molding and beautiful colors and designs, not the subject matter. It is a portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm with the saying

Wir Deutschen Furchten Gott (We Germans fear God)

Und Niemand auf der Welt!(And no one else in the world!)

on two ribbons on the side.

It is clearly missing the lid. What do you think?

DSCN6661.JPG

DSCN6660.JPG DSCN6662.JPG

DSCN6665.JPG

DSCN6667.JPG

DSCN6666.JPG

DSCN6670.JPG

DSCN6671.JPG

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    Wonderful gorgeous stein!!!! I would buy an old chipped or broken one and use the top. They are usually pewter but some are silver plated.
    greg

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet. I'd give that house room too.

4. Bookahtoo

Thanks Greg and Ruth!

Greg - would it be difficult to get a different lid to fit on this? Would a lid that fit, but wasn't correct, add value or take it away?

I'm happy with it as it is.

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

If it was Mettlach it would have value, there's lots of people that have old lid and thumblift collections for replacement and do custom new lids and thumblifts.
    Being a Hanke I'm not sure it's worth it for someone to pay for replacement parts and mounting.

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidharr/DavidHarr.htm

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Thanks Anund. I guess it will remain in my bookcase as is.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE looking stein!!!!! Is that what the hole in the top of the handle is for....a handle for a lid??? The top of the stein doesn't look to have too much wear......

Joshua Brown likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    So many of them "lost" their lids in the 40s due to metal collecting for the war effort. My Gram took the metal plate showing her clock was made for them on their wedding day.
    greg

9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

probably not acceptable, but if you are only going to sit your lovely stein on a shelf and want a "decoy lid", you can have this one .......................on marked with a "63" inside and I do not think it is pewter. First class postage is cheap. It is 2.590 inches in diameter and has no inner flange. You won't hurt my feelings if you refuse, believe me...................

MVC-343S.JPG

MVC-340S.JPG

10. Bookahtoo

Oooo - thanks Mansons. I'll measure in the morning!

Joshua Brown and komokwa like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Despite the condition, it could have some value to Kaiser-memorabilia collectors, since it features a nice portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm II. It even has the 'Karlskrohne', the crown of Charlemagne.
    If the 'decoy lid' Mansons so kindly offered fits, it will look like Wilhelm is wearing a 'pickelhaube', the German helmet of the period.;)
    A bit like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    CheersDears and Joshua Brown like this.
  12. Mansons2005

Ah yes, the "Fritz Fanatics"......................

dgbjwc likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what a handsome gent !!!
    why did they name a bread roll after him ?? ,,, :oops:

dgbjwc and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

why did they name a bread roll after him ?? ,,, :oops:

lol, NOT A CLUE! but, dang good rolls!

komokwa likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, he certainly was handsome.
    The bread roll was named after an Austrian Kaiser. There is some dispute if it was 15th century emperor Friedrich III or 18th century Joseph II.
    In Austria they are called Kaisersemmel:
    [​IMG]

16. Bookahtoo

17. Mansons2005

If I run across any others I'll keep you in mind...................I thought I had rid myself of ALL of these (steins & extraneous lids), but since I found the one I pictured, there are probably one or two more that escaped the Big Purge of 2014............

judy likes this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Great - thanks! I never run across stein lids, but then again, I'm probably too busy looking for something else. :rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  19. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I know nothing about steins; but I notice that the first link mentions that "The stein was likely purchased lidless and the lid added by a pewterer."
    Does that indicate that some of this design might have been made and sold in a lidless condition, or does the notation merely mean that a later purchaser found it in a lidless state, though it originally had a lid?
    Are you sure yours originally had a lid? Or, if some were made lidless, I'd think they would still have value in their original lidless condition.
    But what do I know. A chance for me to learn something; were some steins made lidless, and buyers added their own lids?

20. Bookahtoo

You've got me - but the stein shown in the second link is the undecorated piece - and it has a lid. :confused:

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted