Beautiful black and gold antique dress in like new condition

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jax Moving and Storage, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

If that is a tag that reads "Henry Ford Museum", it is probably a replica purchased at said museum. I have no idea how old the museum is, so I can't help actually date the garment.

yourturntoloveit, komokwa and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought the dress was on top of something from the Henry Ford Museum, the reverse side.
    Jax, could you take a picture of the dress on a mannequin or a hanger?

3. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

It's a little hard to see from your photos, but does that dress have 2 layers of material? It looks (to me) like a sheer black fabric with dots over top of a solid beige/taupe fabric with a slight silk-like sheen. It appears as if the lace at the collar has sequins sewn on it ... are the 'dots' on what I think is sheer black fabric also sequins or are they tiny fabric tufts (as in a dotted Swiss)?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The museum tag is on the blanket under the dress rather than the dress itself. It appears to be what vintage clothing dealers call a Lucy dress, or early Eisenhower era cocktail dress. Beyond that...dunno.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With hook and eye closure? In the 1950s? That doesn't seem right. And by "Lucy" dress, are you referring to Lucille Ball-style dresses?

Debora

6. evelyb30

They had hooks and eyes further back than that; I've found them on items from the 30s. And yes, that's a Lucille Ball reference. Vintage clothing dealers use it as shorthand for mid-1950s dresses with natural waists and full skirts. That one looks like a cocktail/dinner dress.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My point was that a 1950s dress would close with a zipper. It is not possible to ascertain the dress' era from the photographs but I don't see anything from its construction that says 1950s.

Debora

8. evelyb30

I'm no one's expert, but a good look at the seams would help - the wrong side. Seeing it hanging would help too.

9. So you guys want more pictures what exactly would you like me to take pictures of? And thank you so much for all the information

10. You're correct the museum was on the blanket thanks for clarifying that for me

11. yes you're right there is no zipper at all on the stress here are some more pictures thank you so much for the information. Now my question is.... is there a market for these antique dresses. I don't know what to do with it it's won't fit me and I would be afraid to even Put it on.

12. evelyb30

There definitely is. The hook and eye setup in this can go back to the Victorian era, I looked them up, but this looks... I'm not sure. I'm still thinking 1950-something, but I've been all wet before. Pieces like this in good condition sell handily; if you have a good consignment store locally that has a good vintage section, I'd take it there. They get the headaches, and you get the money. I know people who positively POUNCE on dresses like that.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a (distant) glance, your dress appears to be from the 1910s and homemade. Can't tell from your photographs what kind of condition it's in but matters. Dress on left below dates to 1914 and, I'd say, same era. World War I-ish. FYI, for future, one factor in dating dresses is silhouette so start with a full length photograph of front.

Debora

1914 Dress.jpg c

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  14. What do you mean by Silhouette
    This is back I believe because this is where you hook it.

And I believe this is front

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nope. You've got it backwards. Lace crosses in front. And the silhouette is the line of the dress, its overall shape.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. evelyb30

That's part of what had me fooled into thinking it was later. The collar plus three quarter sleeves. If that thing's pre-WWI the price just went up. Prices on pieces that age can range from $100 to thousands.

17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I agree - between 1910 and 1918.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

And I think those silver hooks are replacements because the original ones would have been black and not sewed on with thick white thread. I'm going to go with 1910-20 as well. It seems to be in fairly decent shape, too.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted