Featured Beautiful but unfortunate ring! Victorian? 15k Gold Garnet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Dec 11, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Bought this ring and saved it from being melted. It is quite a beautiful ring with the exception of the stone being severely cracked. It is very unfortunate that the stone ended up like this! Anyhow I believe it to be Victorian perhaps?
    20201210_170829_resized.jpg 20201210_170824_resized.jpg 20201210_170835_resized.jpg 20201210_170858_resized.jpg 20201210_170917_resized.jpg

Lucille.b, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What a shame as it’s a beauty!.
    I was idly considering if there was any cosmetic improvement to be made on a cracked stone and wonder if anyone has used the glue they use for mending windscreens on cracks in gems?. (No, I’m not suggesting you try it as I have no idea of the results!.)

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why is the same mark, that i don't recognize...stamped twice...

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Datewise I think 1890-1910. The stone can be replaced.

stracci, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks like a badly punched 585 mark.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Stamped '15' twice, the UK switched to 14C from 12 and 15 in 1932...

~Cheryl

KikoBlueEyes, bluumz and i need help like this.
  7. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Looks like it is hand done as to the gravings. I feel that it was done by a jeweler (or a talented would be) as a one of a kind (?). Also, I see possible internal flaws in the first photo or is it just dirty? Flaws would indicate a natural stone. In photo no. 3 the stone looks very much like a ruby? The stone could be easily removed and replaced. It could have been made anywhere as karat punches are not that hard to obtain. I agree that the mark is 15 but that does not definitely prove that it was made in the U.K. If it is a natural ruby, you might want to save the removed pieces.

also

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, mark is typical of marks found on small unassayed 9, 12, and 15 carat British gold pieces (sometimes with an added 'C'), those lower standards added to the 18 and 22 carat standards in 1854 - can't say that I've run across the uncommon 15 carat gold from outside of Great Britain, or to a lesser degree, the Commonwealth nations...

~Cheryl

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, Cheryl. There's a myth that we assayed and hallmarked everything. We didn't. I think you're right about it being a double struck 15, looking again.

10. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

It definitely is a beautiful ring. My take is that it was not made by an truly accomplished jeweler and is rather rough. Having said that and assuming that the jewel is in fact a natural ruby, I feel that it may have been made in India? As to date: Victorian to Vintage? Definitely too nice to melt down!

Draft saved Draft deleted