Featured Beautiful daguerreotype conservation!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Feb 2, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

This daguerreotype I found had the original tape on the back and took some work to get it off. The seals had failed and tarnish was starting to encroach on the image. I resealed it and it looks fantastic. The applied gold and the rose tinted cheeks make for a nice image. Unfortunately it only has half a case so I am seeking a replacement. I am quite happy with the job I did!
    inCollage_20200202_202056693_resized.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@spartcom5 could you tell me what you're doing to get those results???? Just cleaning the glass (and with what??) and airtight resealing the Dag (and with what??)??? Please, do tell if you don't mind, that is unless you're doing it professionally...... and in that case, I wouldn't dream of asking you......thank you!!!! Because, that looks FANTASTIC!!!!:):):)

3. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I am doing it VERY AMATEURLY the problem I have been running into is that out of the 3 dags I have done they all have had different sized glass covers!! I had 6 covers cut for me at the typical size 2.75in x 3.25in and out of the 3 only one had those exact dimensions whereas the others were different by a fraction of an inch like 1/8in or 1/16in. Due to this when refitting them back into the case they tend to stretch at one corner... Having glass cut to the exact size would be a chore so I am going to experiment with sanding them down a tad. Any ideas on what grit anyone??

Also, for restoration I read this guide and found it very useful. http://vieilalbum.com/Tech01US.htm The one thing the guide doesn't talk about is that you can safely soak a daguerreotype in distilled water to remove gunk and debris. Just dry by blowing it with air can.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine sanding down a small sheet of glass.

Your photos look very nice after your work on them, thank you for showing us.

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful image! Great job, @spartcom5 !

You've almost convinced me to try similar on some of mine. I have donated some of my daguerreotypes to the Daguerreian Society's annual auction for the past few years. Most of mine are not worth very much. I'm even now considering purposely buying some lesser images just for experimentation purposes in cleaning. Don't know what I'd do about the glass, though. I would consider for practice, just cleaning the original glass and putting it back on. Many years ago I dabbled in making stained glass pieces. I actually might still have a small glass cutter, but am not sure of my ability to be precise with it.

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I also think the glass would make me hesitate the most!! And thank you @spartcom5 for the most helpful information!!! I might think sanding would be pretty tedious, but then haven't tried that (HA! or anything for that matter!!) either!! Using a Dremel sanding would produce uneven results, am pretty sure! But I read through that whole procedure on that link, it does sound tedious, BUT do-able, with patience too!!! Will be anxious to see if @Figtreee tackles some!!!!!

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I often used disposable emery boards for finger nails to smooth chips and dings in glassware. Now I will have to try it on glass panes.
    greg

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have used a small pumice stone that was originally intended to be used on your cuticles to smooth out chips & nicks.

Draft saved Draft deleted