Featured BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BEER STEIN - ANY IDEA OF AGE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 30, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Sat at a yard sale. I think it looks older to me, but I'm not sure. It doesn't have any markings on the bottom that I can see - but it is not a cheap lightweight stein I've seen with no marking on bottom from Japan. It does have 1 mark - .5 L - on one side near the top of the handle.
    Also, the unusual dome like lid is sturdier than most pewter stein lids that I remember.
    Any way to tell it's age?
    Thanks
    collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 1AA.JPG collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 1AAA.JPG collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 2AA.JPG collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 2AAA.JPG collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 3AA.JPG collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 4AA.JPG collectible stein BEER STEIN SMALL 5AA.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Late 1800s.
    German.

Some will be able to give you more info.

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Mettlach is the big winner in beer steins, and yours seems to be in-the-style-of. If you can prove that it is Mettlach, you should do very well.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Pretty big if it can hold 1/2 litre.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think this is The child monk of Munich.

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  6. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Looks like layers of nicotine. I think if cleaned would really pop. Love the bush in the background..Art Nouveau ish

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Mia often had a hard life...that is when good beer is necessary....
    Don't understand the Mia ..was the child of Munich referred to as a girl? or am I misreading

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t know much about this. I’m sure @Fid will give us a lot to look over, later.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is meant to be a form of 'mir', me. "Life would often have been hard for me, if I hadn't had the good beer". Self-medicating at an early age.;)

The towers are of the Munich Frauenkirche, the cathedral church of Our Lady, so @i need help is probably right. I had never heard of the child monk, but if he needed to self-medicate, I am glad I missed that story.:arghh:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted