Beautiful Lounge Chairs from NC (Depression Era)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Danielle061720, May 12, 2022.

1. Danielle061720

Danielle061720 New Member

We recently found these amazing chairs that were just being discarded and are hoping to get a general value to help get some rent covered (if we’re lucky), but I can’t seem to find out much about these or the manufacture online other than the place being destroyed in a fire in the mid/late 1930s. Any assistance and input is greatly appreciated.

photo gallery: https://imgur.com/a/t1ONSFN

It is a set of four low lounge chairs that look to be handmade, possibly restored (this is unclear, but we are leaning towards it just based on the quality and lack of wear). The wheels (two on each on the front two legs) look like brass, I’m unsure of the type of wood, and the seats are either leather or a synthetic type meant to mimic black colored leather. The label on the underside of one reads:

ALL NEW MATERIAL
    Consisting of Urethane Foam 90%
    Cotton Felt 10%

The article is made in accordance with the act of Dist. Of Col. approved July 3, 1926, Kansas approved March 1923; Minn. approved Apt. 24, 1929; New Jersey revised Statutes 26; 10-6 to 18.

Licensed in Maryland
    771 (stamped number it seems)

MADE BY: UNITED FURNITURE
    Ronda, North Carolina

I’m attaching a link to a gallery with photos as well (the set of four are identical in quality so I’m just posting the one). I was having issues getting each photo down to the maximum size requirement for direct posting: https://imgur.com/a/t1ONSFN

Thank you to anyone who can chime in! I’m really at a loss here and have no clue where to begin selling these and we can’t afford an appraisal.

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

We don't usually do appraisals due to too many variables, but I think in this case value would be minimal. I would say your chairs are not 1930s but rather 1970s with a Spanish revival flavor.

3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I think those chairs are from the 1970s with original finish and upholstery.

United Furniture had more than one manufacturing site.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with late 1960s/early1970s. And missing a matching game table.

Debora

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a similar set.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.34.10 PM.png

NewEngland, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you'll have to sell them locally for pick up only.....whatever internet sites you use...or a yard sale...

NewEngland likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with a 70s or later date. That speckled "Pecan" finish is a dead giveaway, as is the Mediterranean styling. These would be a hard sell in my Midwest area. You might do better (or not) where you are ..... wherever that is.

mark737 and NewEngland like this.
  8. Danielle061720

Interesting! Thank you guys! My husband tasked me with a “figure it out” — and that’s.. not something that’s in my wheelhouse.. especially chasing a toddler around all day.

9. Danielle061720

Thanks! I was at a complete loss given the “I found them, now figure out if we can get $50 or pay our rent” task from my other half. Even minimal pays for some diapers :) Thanks for the input.

10. Danielle061720

That makes WAY more sense to me, honestly. And Chicago, so who knows! Even a few dollars is more dollars than before if someone wants them at all.

thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted