Featured BEAUTIFUL(!) Oil on Board by Robert Driscott - Anyone Know of Him?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 24, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

My friend has a auction house here in Miami & sometimes he lets me buy a piece before the auction (and a lot of stuff really cheap after if they didn't sell) - when I saw this painting I talked him into selling it to me for $150.
    The details and the ... fineness(?) of the paint on board is incredible! It almost looks like a photograph.

When I got home & googled Robert Driscott I saw a few links, but all to auctions that I need a membership to look at.
    Has anyone heard of Robert Driscott? I think there is 1 in America & 1 in England - anyway to tell who I have?

Any thoughts on the painting & artist would be greatly appreciated.

AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING DRISCOLL ROBERT 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING DRISCOLL ROBERT 2AAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING DRISCOLL ROBERT 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING DRISCOLL ROBERT 4AA.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm seeing Robert Driscoll, not Driscott.

lloyd249, Any Jewelry, judy and 7 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm seeing Driscoll as well. I like it, but for all that it looks old-fashioned, I don't think it's very old.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I see Robert Driscoll too. I don't have any real knowledge so take this with a grain of salt.

A little googling, I do see some Robert Driscoll paintings, mostly watercolors, that don't match this in style or signature.

What I do see, is a frame and board that remind me very much of some factory paintings that were sold through designers and at painting sales at hotels etc. I say that because I've been to those sales and bought some. The Dutch style was very popular and well done. They were more than the $150 you paid and many are signed with what I always assumed are made up names.

Anyway....that's what I'm thinking....for what it's worth.

Lousy photos but here are a couple of the factory paintings I picked up.

upload_2018-1-24_21-23-8.png
    upload_2018-1-24_21-24-50.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I meant Driscoll, not Driscott - I am just getting over terrible cold & obviously I'm still a little foggy! Sorry

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is this the Robert Driscoll you found?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did appear to me to be a decorative painting.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Made-up names ... I'm reminded of an antique sale some years ago. When a painting came up, a regular called out to the auctioneer, "Is it signed, John?" And he replied, "Not yet."

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is a favorite of mine, purchased for about the same money and of the same ilk.

z.jpg

zz.jpg

zzz.jpg

Another one of those things that makes me smile.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

When you see those black lauan backs, buy only if for your own decorative purposes.

Draft saved Draft deleted