BEAUTIFUL OLD? PORTRAIT PAINTING OF LITTLE BOY SIGNED DAVID MILLS

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 15, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I've had this painting for a while; I have so many I forgot about it until today when someone looking through a stack asked me about it.
    It's signed David Mills; it reminds me of a chain of photography studios I kinda remember as a kid. I think they were in Sears stores?
    Does anyone know of the artist? Do you think it was a portrait done of a real child or just a painting of a cute as heck, elf/leprechaun picture inside the artist's head?! Even his clothes look ...Victorian era, right? But the painting isn't that old is it?
    I appreciate any thoughts?
    Thanks again!
    AA ART PAINTING BOY DAVID MILLS 1AA.jpg AA ART PAINTING BOY DAVID MILLS 1BAA.jpg AA ART PAINTING BOY DAVID MILLS 2AA.jpg
    AA ART PAINTING BOY DAVID MILLS 3AA.jpg

TraceyB and judy like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Oops Mills, not Miller - sorry

TraceyB, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. journeymagazine

I was able to edit Miller to Mills - thank you

TraceyB and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The clothing appears to be Regency which is pre-Victorian. (The painting does not appear -- to my eye -- to be that old.)

Debora

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That was Olan Mills that was in Sears. Charming picture,I get a 1960s feel.

lovewrens, TraceyB, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

TraceyB, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the 1950s-60s paintings of street children by Bruno Amadio aka Bragolin.
    Bragolin had been kicked out of the Art Academy, and became a fascist propaganda painter.
    After WWII he couldn't find a job. According to one version of the story he became one of the many painters on San Marco square in Venice, where he sold paintings of local children, many with a tear in their eye. According to another version he moved to fascist Spain, where he painted children from a local orphanage.
    In both stories tourists loved the paintings, which found their way all over the world.

[​IMG]

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My first impression is: fairly recent, but Murillo-esque. Staples holding the canvas and no corner wedges? Very unlikely to be re-stretched.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

TraceyB likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Not sure I understand - did either sign their works David Mills?

TraceyB likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

TraceyB likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

This one right?!
    ___.jpg

TraceyB likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That one, right!

Debora

TraceyB likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think there's sufficient stylistic similarity for an attribution. One problem is that one portrait of a little boy looks much like another. The main difference between this and those others is the costume. I do think this one is harkening back to the Baroque.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    judy likes this.
  16. C A

C A New Member

Your painting of the young boy is a reproduction of a piece painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze called: Le Petit Boudeur. It is an oil on canvas. It was painted in the 18th century. I own a similar reoroductuon painted and signed by Villon. Here is a relevant link:
    https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4640132

Draft saved Draft deleted