Bed/dresser Style

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by scott witteveen, Aug 2, 2020.

1. scott witteveen

scott witteveen New Member

Hi everybody
    New to the site, name is Scott.
    Bought this antique bed & dresser set, wondering if anyone could tell me what the style is. Looks like snow coming over the edge??
    thanks
    scott

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    My first impression is 1940s. I'm looking at the base, color and what I consider heavy trim at the top.
    I don't know what kind of wood. First thought was maple. Another reason for the 1940s thought. It may have been refinished.
    Let the guys give more info or correct me.

@Ghopper1924 @James Conrad @verybrad

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

My feeling is that they're a bit earlier, ca. 1910. Late Eastlake phasing into Classical Revival; more of the latter than the former. Refinished. I would expect oak at this date, but it looks more like walnut.

judy likes this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Is this American? Where are you, dresser located?
    Agrees on late Eastlake because on incised lines & drawer pulls. Would expect oak as well but it isn't so dunno.
    Looks like hotel/cottage type furniture at the turn of the century where they still had Eastlake machinery but the style had moved on to golden oak but this isn't oak and not walnut either. English maybe?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like maple 1900 or up to a decade or so later to me. Certainly pre-WWI.

7. scott witteveen

scott witteveen New Member

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Don't know of its origin, if it's American or not, bought it in Colorado. Yes someone has refinished it. Maple is definitely a possibility. At the auction I bought it from I overheard someone refer to the 'snow coming over the edge look' by a certain name/style. Made sense when they said it, haven't been able to match it to a picture or anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted