Belgium Tapestry

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by LuckyRabbit4, Jan 11, 2021.

1. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

4543D3FA-6BD9-4CBC-9AB3-0CDC6850703E.jpeg 92F0ED23-3951-4801-A28B-708E517BD429.jpeg 8608E486-E36B-45DE-910E-9CA153BCE9BA.jpeg I’ve got a new piece in and I’m not exactly sure what it is. I’ve found very similar items but not the same design.

So what I’ve gathered so far, it’s about 13”x 55”. A tapestry/runner maybe? From early 1900s (others 1920s). Made in Belgium so I’ve decided it’s been reproduced multiple times. Cannot find this design anyway. Looks like the Salon or something. I’ve attached some pictures of this; front and back.

also, doesn’t anyone have any suggestions on how to clean this? It’s frayed at the top and bottom so a machine wash won’t work. Afraid to hand wash with any kind of detergent.

KSW and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i need help likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What I was thinking of, is not the same, so I won’t muddy the waters with my poor memory! :)

KSW likes this.
  4. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

there’s one that mentions a Salon and King Louie. Kind of looks like the one I have but backward. A piano on the right instead of a table. Those seem to be everywhere online. But this one I cannot find anywhere

KSW likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

LuckyRabbit4 likes this.
  6. komokwa

yes........but u can find water on Mars.....so u get the call too !!! :kiss::kiss:..:woot::woot:

KSW and i need help like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is a Rococo salon scene. Not an uncommon genre subject. A bit of license taken with women's clothing. Appears to be a bit faded.

Debora

large-french-rococo-parlor-scene_1_bd7c62664d95c73af50f53c1285b3631.jpg

KSW, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  8. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

Yea this is the one I always find. Not the one I have though. Same style and I think even really similar people/poses but not the same.

KSW likes this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Cute dog, helping:) as they do...

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Clearly, it's not the same. But another example of this popular genre scene. And do note the vibrancy of color.

Debora

KSW, LuckyRabbit4 and i need help like this.
  11. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

That’s Max. I didn’t realize he was even in the picture

12. komokwa

he's good at being discreet.........:playful::playful:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just because it hasn't been mentioned thus far... machine-made Jacquard tapestry.

14. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

I found this same one being sold on eBay right now. That one is more faded, almost yellow/tan and they’re asking $99. Victorian style they have in the description but nothing else important. No year or anything unfortunately.

KSW likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did you forget a link?

Debora

KSW likes this.
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Anytime a tapestry has bands of color on the back it is newer.
    greg

KikoBlueEyes, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

KSW likes this.
  18. LuckyRabbit4

LuckyRabbit4 New Member

Newer as in post-WWI as opposed to 1800s? Others this same style and backing show 1920s era

KSW likes this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    All I know that dealors have always told me is that factory woven is always bands of color. Hand done is the same on the front and back. They always told me to avoid the bands of color.
    greg

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Nice to see you back Greg :)

Draft saved Draft deleted