Bells numbered and marked India mission temple sarna old or newer reproductions?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I can find similar bells to these but none marked India. Depending on what you are looking at they are referred to with a variety of terms. I found some very similar ones strung on ropes but none with India on them and even these were described differently depending on the site. They range from about 3" tall to about 2.5" tall. They do appear to be older. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

IMG_6499.JPG IMG_6501.JPG IMG_6502.JPG IMG_6504.JPG IMG_6505.JPG IMG_6506.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-9-26_1-6-45.jpeg

Jain, Hindu and Buddhist bells, called "Ghanta" (IAST: Ghaṇṭā) in Sanskrit, are used in religious ceremonies.
    A bell hangs at the gate of many Hindu temples and is rung at the moment one enters the temple.[13]

I only reproduce this from Wiki.......but yours seem to be tourist souvenirs

Aquitaine, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Kevolee

Thank you komokwa, I think if they had been full sized I would have passed on them. Interesting to gain a bit of knowledge on another subject and that's mainly why I enjoy the hunt. Thanks again.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Anabel P.

Anabel P. Member

I don't think they are souvenirs, but they are quite old, although I think they have been aged to make them look ancient, but they are not ancient, they are just a little old :)

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The INDIA mark on them would seen to me to suggest otherwise !

6. Kevolee

I was wondering about the age. I see a lot of metalware that has residue from polish and I usually assume that it is as likely to make something look more aged than it really is than from trying to actually polish it. They are nice, but I will probably try to sell them as they don't fit in with much else that I collect or catches my eye, so the eventual buyer can decide for themselves I guess.