Featured Berkey and Gay credenza/sideboard

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by di4sailing, Apr 30, 2021.

1. di4sailing

di4sailing New Member

We have this credenza made by Berkey and Gay. It's quite nice but is missing alittle filigree on the front. This is in the lobby and the interior designer asked to paint this piece to lighten up the space for a more PXL_20210421_145635877.jpg inviting area. Wondering if the piece is an antique or collector piece in which case we would just sell it and just pick up a used sideboard and paint it. (this is a non profit and the designer is donating her time)
    Any advice?

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt paint it. Not that brown furniture is popular at the moment,but the finish on that piece looks pretty good overall. That trim can be easily fixed. If anything,a nice waxing would really make it stand out more . Selling it probably wouldnt bring much anyway. Thats a good,sturdy piece that will last forever. I would,however,replace those planters with some nice colorful Mexican ones. Its the amateur decorator in me. :)

Firemandk, Ghopper1924, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Or paint those pots, and leave that server alone!

Ghopper1924, johnnycb09 and SBSVC like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If me, I would respectfully suggest the interior designer come up with another solution to "lighten up" the space that doesn't entail destroying an attractive, well made piece of antique furniture.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  5. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

I personally would not paint it. It’s a nice piece that just needs a little tlc.

johnnycb09, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think Johnny has the right idea!:happy:

johnnycb09 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful oak buffet by a respected name. Don't paint!

Tanya, judy, Firemandk and 3 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There. Definitive.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

DISAGREES! from the anti-paint faction above, paint-decorated furniture is an early American tradition.
    While it's true the above piece was never intended to be painted when manufactured during the golden age of oak (early 20th century) it's value/popularity now is very low.
    Professionally paint-decorated furniture from previous periods is enjoying a renaissance of late and becoming quite popular in the marketplace with enhanced value.
    Finally, paint is removable should that be desired at a later time.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I love it the way it is! Beautiful piece! Granted these pieces aren't worth much right now - but the pendulum will swing again and one day it will be in vogue! I'd lighten up the space by adorning it with some beautiful white tall vases or a long low white planter with a big white/pastel arrangement on it. Once painted; even if removed; will never allow the piece the value it once had with it's original finish! I'm with Johnny; paint the planters!

Cheerio Leslie

Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Paint the planters! Paint the planters!"

An alliterative rallying cry to take up.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted