Berkey and Gay server Table-Looking for info about year made

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Betty Niccum, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Betty Niccum

Betty Niccum New Member

2. Betty Niccum

Betty Niccum New Member

Just acquired this piece-also what would be the best way to clean it

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks to be a pier table (because of the mirror) rather than a server. It would have been in a house's front hallway so you could check your shoes on the way out. Originally it may have been accompanied by a pier mirror on top.

I'd call it Empire Revival and date it to the early 20th century. Use Howard's Feed n' Wax and Howard's Restore a Finish to bring it back to life.

4. Betty Niccum

Betty Niccum New Member

Thank You on the Cleaning recommendation because it does need something to bring back to Life. :) We have a large Mirror that I Believe accomanied the piece. Interesting it was to find out why the Mirror was on the bottom, I never thought of it as checking your shoe:)

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

No problem!

Yeah, the mirror was for checking "up above," and the pier table's mirror was for "down below." Some called it a "petticoat mirror." :)

6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3391/berkey-and-gay-furniture-co

The logo looks very much like the one in this link...circa 1929 to 1948. As a lover of Empire - walnut or mahogany (not so much oak)... I ADORE this piece! I think Empire is truly an under appreciated style! Almost all my pieces are "rescue" Empire. I didn't spend more than $125 on any one piece! Some are early to mid-1800's and although some have some scuffs and dings... will last another 100 years! I have "filled" those small chips in the veneer with a combo of beeswax and crayon... it blends in well...can be removed if necessary and is easy to apply! Enjoy your piece! I'll admire it from afar! I don't happen to have a piece like that!

Cheerio Leslie

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted