Berkey & Gay Dining Set

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Alicia Murphy, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Alicia Murphy

Alicia Murphy New Member

Hi! I have a 13 piece, solid cherry wood, Eastlake style Berkey and Gay dining room set that I am wanting to sell but not sure what to price it at. I have an appraisal but it was from the 80's and I know brown furniture has significantly gone down in value as well as dining sets. Any advice appreciated! Located in the Philadelphia Region.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    James Conrad likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Now , it kinda depends on where you are?
    You're not going to ship it...so only local or semi-local buyers will respond.
    Your 80's appraisal is worthless, so look around to see what's selling in your area and set a price below that to entice buyers.
    Good luck !!

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A handsome Berkey & Gay set. They were one one of the top manufacturers in the U.S., located in Grand Rapids, MI.

Yes, brown furniture is out of fashion, especially dining room sets. Nevertheless, you have an exceptional Eastlake/aesthetic group, which is rather unusual. The sideboard almost looks European.

I'd think about asking $4K for it, then come down as necessary. I've seen worse sets going for more on E-Boo, so hopefully that's not too unrealistic.

James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Indeed, very nice and in Cherry. Very attractive & well built.
    Sorry, Not a clue on worth but prices are depressed these days.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Being near a large city, the $4K price might not be out of line. I wouldn't be able to get that here in the Midwest.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted