Berkey & Gay Gentlemen Dresser with Mirror and marble top matching bed frame

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by RunnerMom, Dec 9, 2020.

1. RunnerMom

RunnerMom New Member

113214.jpeg 113215.jpeg 113217.jpeg 113216.jpeg Hi we have these pieces and want to sell but have no idea the worth or history. Any information that someone has would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2020
    Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would say this dates to about 1890. Walnut. Handsome, but B & G could go alot fancier. Very cool that you've got a rare paper label.

You say pieces, but I only see a dresser. I'd guess may $200-$300 or a bit more on a good day at auction here in the Midwestern U.S. More in other markets.

4. RunnerMom

RunnerMom New Member

Thank you for your response and information, I am curious as to why so low a value? I was told by my friend it was worth around $10,000?

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  5. RunnerMom

RunnerMom New Member

Oh sorry we have a B&G bedframe too

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Just curious - what does "your friend" do for a living?

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No, your friend has misinformed you, to get that kind of number your bedroom suite would need to be labeled by a famous maker, Herter, Roux, Belter, etc.
    B&G in grand rapids was a quality manufacturer but they made furniture for the middle class, not handcrafted, hand-carved furniture that the elite makers made for the wealthy.

A quicky search at LiveAuctioneers for recent sales

Sold for $650 August this year
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/88518953_walnut-victorian-2-piece-bedroom-suit
    82372181_1_x.jpg

And another sold in April 2020 for $550.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/82372181_2-piece-walnut-victorian-bedroom-suit
    88518953_1_x (1).jpg

8. James Conrad

Joe2007, Siblye and i need help like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Very informative James. And sadly true.

I wonder if your source missed a zero on the Belter bed? I've seen two of them sell, and both went for over $100K. If that one really went for $12,000, then I'll forever kick myself for missing it. :(

Although I said it first, I'm sad to see the B & G stuff go for less than $1K for a bedroom set. They were quality by anybody's standards.

James Conrad likes this.
  10. James Conrad

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. RunnerMom

RunnerMom New Member

Thank you for all the information. I truely appreciate it. I think i will keep the pieces in the family then. :)

Joe2007 and James Conrad like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Keep the pieces = Good idea.

Dang, Belter (and I would also guess that it is) or not somebody STOLE that bed!! Love it!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR:depressed::bigtears::hurting:;)

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  13. James Conrad

Yep, they probably did!
    This is one reason why I am not concerned in the slightest about the current depression in prices.
    It allows long time collectors a chance to own previously unreachable (price-wise) pieces and attracts new blood into the market as well.
    Yes, there are losers in this market but winners as well, like the guy who stole that Belter bed! :p

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They are lovely...but if your friend is offering 10 grand......take it and run !!!!

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  15. RunnerMom

RunnerMom New Member

Hi again, one more question, if we did decide to sell what is the best platform or auction house to sell, we are in Mid Michigan. thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted