Bernhard Bloch humidor/tobacco set - Real or repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Sep 8, 2019.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if the piece I have is bonafide Bernhard Bloch or not?

Here are two I found (from different sellers) on picclick/ebay - with different features (striker and bases), but near identical copy:

Bernhard Bloch Eichwald Bohemia Majolica Boy Pulling Cart - Cigar / Smoking Set(1)

Bernhard Bloch Austria Majolica Boy Pulling Cart Match Striker Cigar Smoking Set(2)

Mine has an unglazed face and hands and no striker.
    Similar base to (1), but not exact.
    Clothes painted similar to (2).
    All three took a hit to the hat!

Neither mentions it, but I'm assuming that indentation along the back is for a pipe (?). Thanks!

2019-09-08 11.01.18.jpg
    2019-09-08 11.01.33.jpg

NO STRIKER below
    2019-09-08 11.01.27.jpg
    2019-09-08 11.02.12.jpg
    2019-09-08 11.01.59.jpg

Hit to hat.
    2019-09-08 11.01.21.jpg

i need help and charlie cheswick like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The item is not worth enough to go to the trouble of reproducing it to this detail. I would guess that it was produced over a period of years and the design was changed when they needed to redo the mold. It also isn't unusual to find different decoration schemes on items produced from the same mold. Can't explain the hat damage. If it was mine and I was keeping it I would touch the hat up with a black marker.
    Don

3. scoutshouse

Thanks, Don :)

When was it made? (approximately?)

Both parties are asking $$$, operative word "asking"

It's not something I'd normally buy, but figured it had something to do with tobacco so I went for it.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've found exact dates on majolica to be rather tricky. I don't think I'm alone as neither of your potential competitors suggests a date either. I think most of the smoking sets date to around 1900 -1910 give or take a decade. I've been trying to sell a repaired BB Drunk and Log tobacco piece for $49.99 for some time now with no takers. I don't think prices are as strong as those sellers are suggesting (especially with damage).
    Don

5. scoutshouse

Thanks, Don! I agree on the price. Especially as there are two and soon to be THREE out there! lol

KikoBlueEyes, dgbjwc and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted