Featured Best brooch display/storage?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Aug 22, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I have been looking for a way to store/display my brooch collection but cant seem to find anything ideal. I want to pin them to foam on the inside so they are secure.... Any ideas?

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This has come up a little in the cameo thread Unless you have something that does the job of a display cabinet, displaying & keeping safe/clean are somewhat conflicting goals.

In the other thread I outlined an idea I have, just not handy enough to do it myself, of making light wood frames & stretching nylon over them like a canvas is put on a stretcher, then pinning brooches to that. I do have a display cabinet, so have less concern about safety & grime, although amazing what still gets in.

The other thing would be to have a purpose built chest with shallow drawers, similar to a music cabinet or, ideally, the ones some people had in the 19th century for their collection of plaster casts of engraved gems they would never see directly. You couldn't enjoy any time you walked by, but sliding out a drawer is not so burdensome.

How big is your collection, order of magnitude?

3. Bronwen

Just remembered that somewhere I have what is basically a little length of board, covered in, if I remember, velvet, maybe some bits of decoration & a loop for hanging. Intended for displaying pins/brooches.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Research "Lindner" display trays, they make stackable or mountable trays for displaying medals, coins etc.
    I use them in my coin cabinet, they make many different sizes.

War medals are roughly the size of many brooches.

Some two ounce silver coins are larger than some brooches and they make them to fit.

41jaQSmTwmL.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I used to use a shadow box type wall mounted medal display case, medals could be pinned inside, however I now use one for displaying small silver items at sales.

20190822_113910.jpg

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if this helps but they do make hinged display cases with fabric backs. I don't have jewelry but here is one I hung with a rank badge so you can see what I mean. It's about 3/4" deep.

(Couldn't tell if Davey's was hinged or not.)
    img20190822_085131.jpg img20190822_085340.jpg

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

FleaPins2.jpg

Pillows! I use them for display at shows :)

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Back in the days when you could pick up costume brooches at goodwill for .25 cents ,circa 1984,I had a black denim jacket that I covered with probably about a 100 or more. Every single time I wore it out I got compliments.Until the night I took it off in a bar to go dance and someone stole it. Ive often wondered over the years just what I did have on that jacket as I had some real stunners.

Kimbert, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Love that, Marie. Is that from your retail spot?

Bummer of a story, Johnny. :oops:

There is a store here that uses a cloth mannequin to display, but that of course takes up a bit of room.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Bronwen

Excellent idea for your needs, so easy to pack up again. Especially like the radial arrangement of bar pins on the round pillow with radiating seams.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Hi Lucille, yes, that is my flea table. I take them to antique shows also but I do a much nicer job of arranging my tables :)

Any Jewelry, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Neat idea, but that photo is misleading, the listing is only for one of the pins, not all of them :sorry:

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I totally agree Marie. Some sellers ask for trouble by showing other items when only one is listed in that listing.
    I just thought the idea of it was a good one for someone who didn't have a lot of room for cases.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  15. Bronwen

No doubt seller will say well, they did put that (very fine lined) box around the listed item on the photo. Hate this too. Or sellers who make several photos into one so that you can never enlarge to the degree you want to.

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I truly hate when the seller includes words of other items they have listed. :mad::mad:

There is one seller who includes the word DeVilbiss in every listing description because she sometimes sells their perfume bottles & they show up in my saved searches because of that. :banghead::banghead: I truly wish there was a way we could block sellers like we do buyers. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

I tried reporting her multiple times & of course eBay did absolutely nothing even though I believe that what she is doing is the very definition of key word spamming. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Bronwen

I still haven't entirely figured out how so many things that are nothing like turn up in a search for 'lava cameo'. Does not happen anywhere near as much in searches for cameos in other materials.

18. Marie Forjan

There is a seller on eBoo who puts “tennis” in the title of each and every bracelet they list, no matter what the style is :sorry:

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have saved searches that have more eliminated words than searchable words. :eek::eek::rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Jivvy likes this.
  20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But they DO have small half body, lovely, covered in vintage fabric....mannequins that I’ve seen on occasion!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted