Best Place to sell antiques online

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BeachSmiles, Feb 12, 2019.

1. BeachSmiles

BeachSmiles Member

Hello, I am looking for recommendations on the best online website/place to sell my antiques. I have antique chairs from England that have been valued over 5k each and I've been contacted by a big online auction house that wants to list YET it's has a 40% commission, that is JUST too high.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if you want full price you have to list it yourself and sell locally.
    or
    put up your own website
    or
    facebook , maybe.

3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

40% is high. Where are you located? Do you have any high end auction houses that sell furniture?
    Patd

4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Wow, 40%, is that commensurate with their buyer's premium?
    Consignor's fees and premiums are often negotiable with the better auction houses, not fixed in stone, especially when high-end material is what's to be auctioned. patd's question is a good one -- if you tell the board whereabouts you're located, you'll likely get some good suggestions for alternatives to the AH that's already shown interest.

5. BeachSmiles

BeachSmiles Member

Thank you I am in South Carolina

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. BeachSmiles

BeachSmiles Member

Any thoughts on GoAntiques TIAS or RubyLane?

judy likes this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I doubt it would be worth your time and expense to set up a store at one of those to sell only two chairs. If you have a lot of stuff and you're interested in setting up a business, then it could be a good way to go.

There is more than one auction site, and if one auctioneer is interested and estimated $5K+5K, then the other auction sites should be interested too. Christies, Sotheby's, Skinners, Pook&Pook and Doyles are all on the east coast. Try them all and compare fees.

And where are your pictures so we can see what you've got? :cyclops:

8. BeachSmiles

BeachSmiles Member

Thanks for your insights.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

High end auction houses have the resources to reach many, many potential buyers. They employ experts and produce catalogs both printed and online. All this costs money. Also they will put them in an auction with like items to draw bidders looking for what you have. Plus they have a reputation and their good name is behind every sale.

As they say, you get what you pay for ;)

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  10. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Heritage Auctions also worth looking into.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted