Best way to sell large lot of Greeting Cards 1900-1970s

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by trip98, Jan 29, 2015.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I am at loss how to handle this lot probs over 1000 pieces. Should I divide by:
    Used and unused (most used)
    Holiday (Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Birthday, Wedding, Baby Shower, etc)
    Era (antique, 1920s, 1970s velvet.....)
    Subject matter (pansies, cats, Japanese...)
    Construction type (mechanical, cutouts, glitter, original signed)
    Or do one giant lot lot

Thanks for the input.

cxgirl likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If your time is valuable do one giant lot which a buyer whose time is not valuable will work on selling piecemeal for about 7 months.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I would divide the Christmas and Halloween ones up. There are fewer Halloween cards than the other holidays, and some of them go for a fair amount of money. Used or unused doesn't really matter, it is all about the scene/design on the card. If Santa is on the card and the colour of his coat is not red, mention the colour in your listings - purple, gold, green, blue are all good colours.
    I would think the mechanical ones would do well on their own for any holiday or event
    I only collect Halloween and Christmas so I don't know how the other holiday cards would do.
    I dying to see photos of what you have, if you have time:)

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I collect cards too - let's see them(please). :woot:

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

One efficient way to show us what u have is to lay out about 100-200 assorted ones and pan over them with a video camera, even a cell that takes video might work. At the end you dwell on some of the more interesting ones. Upload the vid to you-tube set "private" if u only want certain peep to c it, or "public" if everyone can c it. Keep it to a few min. or less and more will watch it.

I still make you-tube videos now and then and Google still pays me every month for the ads I let them put on my 325 videos. Let me know if u decide to do a video and need any advice on how to edit or upload. Only about 5% of the time they refuse to put ads on them-like this one that Google decided violated one or another of their "community values" (where have we heard that before?) Well I don't have a clue what they found objectionable about it, but don't have the time or desire to fight them over a few bucks in missed ad revenues so I just upload more videos and most of 'em bring in a trickle of money each.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    trip98 likes this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

thanks all good suggestions! I took a few hours yesterday and kinda sorta through. Any card that looks newer than 1970 I put in one big pile. There are lots of very old valentines. The Christmas cards (except a few I missed in the sort)I already sold to neighbor who makes stuff with them. Minus Christmas and 1970s plus I am down to about 200-300 pieces. I'll post some photos in few minutes. Let me get organized!. lol. Gotta work fast... this stuff is in our living room not in the office. Dh only has so much patience. lol

7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

okay here are some unedited photos. Working upstairs on laptop with no photo edit program. Hopefully, they will load no problem.They are large files that I cannot reduce size.

Attached Files:

8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It looks like you've got some really nice valentine ones there.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Like the others said, I'd separate out the Valentine's and Halloween cards. Then put the rest in one big lot and let some flea market vendor break them down further.

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Oh, I hope the Christmas ones weren't old - I would hate to think of the old ones being cut-up:(

11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Christmas cards were mostly 1970-80s. Very old ones on heavy card stock I didn't include in the lot.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Worked on this card lot on an off all day, not sure if my hourly is going to work out to much, but the lot was basically free and it was almost as fun as a box of buttons or jewelry. Attached are few photos that I think some of you wanted to see. The photos represent just of portion of lot of similar stuff. There are about 130pcs of the 70s cards which appear not to have much value. About 20 3D victorian , 60 floral theme, and hundred 40s-60s valentines, bday, etc. crdpetmisc.jpg crd70s1.jpg crdflower1.jpg crdvicfoldout2.jpg

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit and quirkygirl like this.
  13. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Wow trip, that was some project! Looks as if you've grouped them very logically into like occasions / time periods (I'm no expert). Recently, I just sold all but one small lot of my old (1920 +/-) Valentines ... The larger, fancier cards were listed singly .... (dimensional, stand-up, honeycomb ... the one's with 'the works'), and they did quite well - one was bid up to just over $40.00 ... which was a nice surprise! :woot: So, if you have any of those, it may be worth the extra time to list those type of cards alone.

14. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness -- I've picked my three favorites which are in one photo -- they are small cards -- one says "Pleasant Prospects" and a second looks like it might say "Forget-me-not(s?)." The third card doesn't have words on the front.

All three are sweet, sweet older cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted