Featured Beyer & Bock Royal Rudolstadt Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Found this beauty at an otherwise uninspiring estate sale yesterday and am curious whether my initial 1920's impression of age makes sense to those with more exposure to B&B items. I know it can't be later than 1931 from what little I've found about them, but is there any chance these are even earlier than the '20's?

2.5 inches tall, 5.5 inches diameter. Appears to be handpainted because of small variations in the acorns and oak leaves - there are 3 sets spaced equally around. Has 3 ball feet, painted gold (which have the most obvious wear where they sit.) Peach lustre interior does show some use, but not bad at all. No chips or cracks, not even a hairline!

Beyer and Bock Bowl1.jpg

Beyer and Bock Bowl2.jpg

Beyer and Bock Royal Rudolstadt Mark.jpg

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Very pretty. I have an attraction to acorn and oak leaf motif. Don't ask me why, cuz I don't know. :p I just do.
    I was wondering, is the painting under-glaze or over-glaze? Also, I think the ball feet are acorn caps.

3. Bakersgma

The ball feet are just ball-shaped, nothing acorn looking to me.

It's hard to say about the other question. The black, yellow and greenish-greyish leaves are underglaze, but the gold was added after the fact, I think. BTW, the little topknots of the caps and the odd geometric shape above are both very shiny gold in person - much more so that the camera could capture.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Thanks, janetpjohn. That's pretty much what I had figured from other sources, so it's good to have confirmation that I'm on the right track. What do you think about the decoration? 20's? or earlier?

6. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but the uneveness of the inside decor and the way the outside looks, I'd guess hobbyist decorated vs professional studio

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

That is absolutely lovely!

8. Bakersgma

I had wondered if it might be hobbyist done, but what you see as "unevenness" of the inside is mostly the reflections of my kitchen in the picture.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Typical of arts and crafts period hobbyist painted china. Could be as early as 1905 or as late as 1920. Most in this style seem to be pre WWI.

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Thank you, Brad. I was thinking about this overnight and do agree that hobbyist painted is much more likely than commercial decorated. I still like it a lot, so I guess that's what really matters anyway. :)

And thanks also to msgood2shoe who got me thinking about it more critically.

11. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

I wish I could run down the plates my mom had. My niece said she doesn't think they have the acorns, but are in that color palate and have architectural style trim on the border which looks hand painted. You are right about the painting style being more in home china painting than commercially decorated from what I remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted