Bible/book made from wax strips

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Louise88, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have this item, made from wax. My research led me to the below paragraph.

I wondered if anyone has had any dealing with this item in the past? Any other info to add?

Thanks!

"In the past it was the custom to give away to Maria Candlemas wax sticks because these often beautifully decorated "wax strings" were also a sign of affection and also a status symbol for many women. Mothers and grandmothers gave their daughters and granddaughters such wax sticks with which they - in the truest sense of the word - topped up their trousseau. Such wax sticks were not lit, of course, but were regarded as an indication of the wealth of a girl. When a servant of a maid worshiped a wax stick at Candlemas, he thanked him so much that she had shaken his straw sack all year round. Wax candles, made from pure beeswax until the invention of paraffin in the mid-19th century, were a very expensive proposition. It was therefore considered a sign of prosperity when a housewife could show a considerable possession of wax candles."

20201019_161404.jpg 20201019_161408.jpg 20201019_161417.jpg 20201019_161422.jpg 20201019_161441.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It would help us follow up on your work if you tell us where you found the information above, and what country/culture it was in reference to. :)

3. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

2manybooks likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link. Interesting object. Unfortunately I have no experience with them, but perhaps someone else here will.

Louise88 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted