Bible Box...Writing Desk...??? Portuguese..Dutch.Colonial Period...?? Not sure about value..??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by BTZ64, Aug 26, 2020.

?

Portuguese..Dutch....17/18 cent...??

1. Which is this Wood..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meaning of Central Medallion...??

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi,Once again...
    Have this tinny Antique Bible box or small Writing desk....Dim: 51x45 cm.....
    It is fixed on a quite earlier stand....And made with precious exotic wood ,surrounded by those brass decoration finishing...Included this brass medallion in the center which I can't understand the meaning or origine....
    I am not 100% sure that the lock is original..It might..??? But working very well after wd40 help....
    Would like to sell this item,and after having checked on website...As Live auctioneers,Michael Backman and other with a quite positive understanding that this box has got a certain value....
    Now ,does anybody could help me to give me more information regarding this object and its actual value for collector or Auction min bid....Thanks for your responses....JJB 005.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh how lovely ! I dont think writing desk as they usually have slopes. Could just be a document box . It does look to have some age,but Im wondering if the feet are replacements. Hang on for some of our furniture guru's ,they are way more knowledgeable than me.

PortableTreasures, BTZ64 and sabre123 like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Construction looks more carpenter-like rather than cabinetmaker and obviously made by someone who had a penchant for brass piercing!

I think this must be an arts and crafts period project, but of course I could be wrong ...what did Michael Backman say about it ...noncommital possibly?

BTZ64 and sabre123 like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice box, BTZ. Probably an Indian valuables or document box. The design on the medallion is a vine, a winding plant, Indian style.
    I would guess, made for local use in the 19th century. There is nothing to suggest it was made for either the Portuguese or the Dutch.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  5. Any Jewelry

I think BTZ just looked on the site. Michael Backman has a specific clientele who are willing to pay his prices. It is doubtful he will ever get what Backman would ask for a box like this. I only saw a silver mounted Indian jewellery box on the site btw.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, in the last photo I notice the box corners are mitered indicating machine-made and the hinges/screws are fairly modern. I would guess vintage and not old, maybe an asian import?

johnnycb09, BTZ64 and sabre123 like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That central medallion was polish-worn long before it was attached to the box as there is no surrounding evidence of long-term polishing on the surrounding wood.
    Interior looks very fresh too.

Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and BTZ64 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Bible boxes weren't bible boxes. They were simply boxes for things. The term bible box spread like wildfire in the last century or so, and refuses to be stamped out.

I'd say this is a late 19th century document box.

9. Any Jewelry

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Indeed, "Bible Box" is a late victorian 19th-century term, prior to that books of any kind, including bibles, were to expensive for the average person to own.

johnnycb09, Ghopper1924 and sabre123 like this.
  11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Pettagama Jewelry or saving box...Nedun wood...Late 17/18 Century Ceylonese Dutch 100%.....

12. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

13. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi thanks for infos...Nothing to do with mine ....Have mentioned response reg this item...Late 17/18th cent Pettagama Jewelry Ceylonese Dutch nadun wood box....

14. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Wrong Sir.....That is a 17/18th cent Petagamma box...Dutch colonial Ceylonese period...Wood used was call Nedun....Thanks anyway

15. Any Jewelry

Yours doesn't look like Pettagama style though. This is Pettagama or Pettagam:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.pinterest.ca/susanthalakshma/sri-lankan-furniture/

Just wondering, if he said jewellery or saving box, why did you call it a bible box? And why did you ask here if you are 100% sure of the ID he gave?

16. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

17. Any Jewelry

johnnycb09 likes this.
  18. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks for your reply....Every saving boxes or jewelry boxes on stand or fixed were called Petgama at the time...and used in a way to be difficult to steal..So Ebony and heavy woods were used for it.....The photos you are showing...Are modern immitatation look alike furnitures which have still the fresh leaves of the tree used down in the courtyard of the carpentry.....I recommand you to read the book called Furniture of Dutch period in Ceylon by Richard Leslee Brohier....A bible of acknowledgement of this Period....Very interesting...!!!

19. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Ok....This is I hope a proof to show you that my Dutch Colonial period in Ceylon Items are 100% original 17/18th cent Period......And not 19th or modern ...Here is attached few photos agreed by Srilanka Heritage department...As Dutch Ceylonese Furnitures from Ceylon....Thanks for your comments and responses anyway....!!! JJB 001.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

808 raver likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

"and its actual value for collector or Auction min bid"

$95 to $110.....on a good day ... imo.

BTZ64, johnnycb09 and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted