Big (5ft x 3ft w/frame 67" x 34") Morris Katz painting I've ever seen + help w/signature on a 2nd

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 29, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to my regular thrift store today not realizing they were all closed for Memorial day, but I got lucky because my friend who is a manager of one was there with a crew unloading some trucks for tomorrow. And when I saw this Big (67.5" x 43.5" w/frame) painting on board by Morris Katz -and with a 1968 date(!) - I asked him to please sell it to me - I already have 2 other Morris Katz paintings at home but nothing like this one!
    I wanted to show you this one because I've been fascinated with his art since I saw him on the Johnny Carson show as a kid. He was being described the fastest painter in the world & for the show he had his hands in fists with 4 brushes between his fingers in each & he painted a painting in something like 20 seconds - and it was nice!

The 2nd one I found I am hoping someone can tell me who the artist is? I changed the filters to get the 2nd signature more readable but I still can't make it out - the painting was done darkly; like it would be in that cave they're fishing in?

Thanks - and happy Memorial Day!

ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 1BA.jpg ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 5AA.jpg ART PAINTING MORRIS KATZ 1968 BIG LANDSCAPE 6AAC.jpg ART PAINTING CAVE CANOE 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING CAVE CANOE 4AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING CAVE CANOE 5AA.jpg

2. Jan Van Lint

Jan Van Lint Member

I prefer your second picture. The signature reads like "S. Jederz(o?)". But the internet doesn't know this artist.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks - I saw something like S. Fervor.
    If you ever see Morris Katz paint; it's amazing to watch!

4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

He was lightening fast but not very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted