Featured Big fish on the line, but then the rod snapped

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 19, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I don't share all the "misses" that happen, but I wanted to share this one to remind everyone that big scores are out there, and they are just under your nose. I came across a listing earlier today, and here's the details:

Listed as silver plate flatware. You get the same photos as me. I can tell you that I didn't need anymore info and I was 182% ready to buy based on these images (the seller wanted less than $40)....So I waited the rest of the day for a response; that's when the buyer told me local purchase only. Nothing I tried worked in my usual bag of tricks, so this one is going to be a miss. At least I'm sniffing it out, but sad when a big one goes right through my fingers:

7.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg 94223047_2917598431633818_5678556813876789248_n.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

It is okay to admit you're mortal...it happens to a lot of superheros.:joyful:

But, knowing what I have seen from you thus far, it was probably meant to be so you could be prepared for the next monster that you hook!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    SYNCHRONCITY and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I tried EVERYTHING....the best ones I have when someone doesn't want to ship:

1. I can send via walmart to walmart so you just show up, show your I.D. and get cash.
    2. I can send a prepaid padded envelope with cash in it, you just put the flatware in the bag and send it back (of course by now I raised my offer too but the seller just wasn't going to do it no matter what)...

Figtree3, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Let the seller know the offer stands, and if someone local doesn't have any sense she might reconsider.

MrNate and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I will see if the listing is still up in a few days and maybe try that. The seller stated that "it was just sold sorry" but I think they just wanted to end the conversation and I don't like being pushy. I can tell when someone really just doesn't want to do it...I mean if you aren't willing to go to walmart to pick up more cash than the listing...that's a sign it's not going to happen. Offering to mail cash is my last resort (but the danish 830 flatware that should arrive tomorrow that's exactly what I did) but when a seller is saying no to almost three times their asking price, and all they have to do is wait for $$ to come in the mail, stick the flatware in a bag and take it to the post office....That's when I know they really don't want a hassle, even if it means more money. Sometimes I actually wonder why people list things in the first place but that's a whole other discussion.

6. evelyb30

I think you may have tipped her off, and she had someone with real eyes read the backs of the pieces and... game over.

7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I don't think so, but it's always possible. And he responded to my options like this:

1. SELLING FOR CASH ONLY

2. NOT INTERESTED IN GOING TO WALMART....THIS IS A LOCAL CASH SELL ONLY

3. SORRY JUST SOLD IT

I’ve unfortunately run into this type of seller a few times...They are basically saying "how dare you offer anything other than coming to my house and paying me cash"...For this particular listing, I never asked any additional details about the set, so I don't think I tipped them off. I think they just consider anything other than showing up and giving cash to be too much of an inconvenience...It's unfortunate, but nothing I could do.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn't work out Nate, but there's another lovely buy around the corner just waiting for you !!!! :):):):):):)

MrNate likes this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you christmasjoy, I know I will too! For anyone reading my post and not quite connecting the dots, based on the photos I recognized the pattern. I knew it was Gorham but couldn’t immediately recall the pattern name. It’s Chantilly; some of the teasets are Silverplate, but all the flatware was only made in sterling as far as I know.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

Sounds like. But... it's happened to me a few times in person. Asked a dealer for a price on something and "oh, I'm not going to sell that yet." Unless they see what I saw and jack the price up sky high.

One time I saw something going dirt cheap and just had to tell the seller what he had. Next week it was back for even less money. I had to wonder on that occasion of the guy wasn't selling for drug money, or if it was stolen property. Why else sell a Native American squash blossom necklace for $75?

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think seller was overwhelmed with contacts from potential buyers and realized the mistake of having listed this set too low?

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

In the current environment with the coronavirus, sort of surprising that they would limit their possibilities that way.

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive scoured Etsy,Ebay and Craigslist Mr. Nate , and the only conclusion Ive come to is those people are nuts . I especially love the "sterling over copper" fools . Ive looked at 100s,maybe 1000s of listings under every different search so Im even more impressed with your ability to smell out a bargain ! Facebook marketplace is the worst joke of all ,at least in my area .

14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It’s certainly possible, but they listed the set as silver plated, and they said it was made by naken (because that’s what the box says)...and none of the photos would indicate sterling unless you happen to recognize the pattern AND you know this pattern was only in sterling. Honestly listings like this go unnoticed by most but I could be wrong.

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Just curious, why do you think it is a “she”?

16. evelyb30

Bad guess? I had a 50% chance of being right. Then again a woman might have checked the backs and seen the sterling mark.(LOL)

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Y'know @MrNate ..I wasn't going to say this but now I will...
    if I was in that sellers area.....I would have gone and bought it for you !!
    just to get it out of the hands of some .... jerkoff !

18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Mr.Nate, if you ever find a silver score in the greater New Orleans area, please let me know to go buy that thing!! ;):cool:

19. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I don't understand the Walmart reference. Why would she have to go to Walmart?
    Anyway, that sucks. There is a consignment store that I frequent and the BEST stuff is always the stuff that they've put out that day (of course!) Anyway, they put the stuff out and they don't price it right away. So everytime I see something I want, there's never a price tag on it. They hem and haw, say they're going to call me when they price it, but they never do. I think I'm just going to stop going to that store...it's just too much to deal with them and not get anything out of it but frustration.

antidiem and komokwa like this.
  20. evelyb30

Everyone knows that if it's on the shelf, it's for sale. That's the rules. I wouldn't go back in either unless I needed to really blow steam like a teakettle.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted