Featured Big Paper Mache Turkey

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Oct 30, 2019.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thoughts about this paper mache / pulp paper / cardboard turkey? it is big, about 12 inches tall, and appears hand painted.

I did some searching and saw a few similar, not exactly the same mold, and most were much smaller. I am guessing fairly recent, home crafted, or even Home Goods type of item, but, it does have a nice folk-y look.

Just want to rule out that it does not have more than decorative value.

Thanks!

tk1.JPG tk2.JPG tk3.JPG tk4.JPG tk5.JPG tk6.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very colorful! I like that.

No real answers for you, though. I'd think that if you found similar smaller ones it's mostly for decoration.

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks Fig. I kind of like it too. The smaller ones varied quite a bit in age and value, though very few had high value. I just did not see very many big ones.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The label remains on the butt make me think that is a sku tag.

Christmasjoy, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but brings back memory of mother coming home with a paper grocery bag full of loose feathers, all plucked from one turkey, she had acquired from a poulterer, thinking she was going to make a papier mache turkey covered in the feathers for her kindergarten class. (To forestall the wits, she was teacher, not pupil.) Uh huh. Can't remember how long she held on to them before she realized it was never to be. And I was so looking forward to watching her try to figure out which feathers went where.

SBSVC, Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I love your mother. What a great idea to interest her students. I'm sure she was so happy to think about this project.

7. Bronwen

I think on one hand she was excited to come up with something new for her classroom holiday decorations that would also be informative for her kids, but agonizingly daunting. She had good ideas & a good eye, but not the hands & skill (or confidence) to do art/craft projects easily. She nearly had a nervous breakdown the night before her very first day in her own classroom & was still working on what she wanted to have on the bulletin board. In a magazine with ideas for teachers she had found instructions for making Mary & her lamb, the lamb with cotton wool, Mary in a little pleated skirt. Think getting the lamb assembled was not too challenging, but she was nearly in tears over getting that paper skirt pleated so it looked right.

At least, once they're made, you can keep using them year after year. Subsequent opening days were not quite so dramatic.

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

She sounds wonderful, @Bronwen :)

Maybe this was a similar project?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

She took getting her kids ready for the big leap to full day first grade very seriously. Kids may have found her a bit stern, brisk, although not mean. I saw her at work a few times when she had school but I didn't.

The thing about having a kindergarten teacher for a mother is that even when you're 23 she's still pointing out the car window saying, Oh, look at that big red shiny fire truck.

judy, SBSVC, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

A very enthusiastic and INVOLVED teacher .. What a GEM !! .. Joy. .. :):):)

judy, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Bronwen

You will notice I have limited my remarks on the overall quality of her mothering. Big red shiny fire trucks were on good days. Think most of her students loved her though. Anyone interested in a bag full of those punch out valentines cards For Teacher?

judy, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

You caught the teaching bug from her, there's that ;)

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Definitely. And my love of pretty things & a certain lack of fiscal responsibility in pursuing them. I am fairly often asked if I teach. But then I've also been mistaken for Jane Goodall when I do my thing while watching the gorillas.

jane_goodall.PNG

14. Christmasjoy

OH Bronwen ... I watch that show "Gorillas in the Mist" with Jane Goodall whenever it is shown on the telly (think that is what the show is called" ... REMARKABLE woman, very sad ending to her life though ... Joy. :):):):):)

judy, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  15. Christmasjoy

UMMMmm .. my mother hated me, she told me so over and over again. She was furious that I wasn't born a boy .. she had already had my brother .. then my sister and she wanted a boy next. How's THAT for good mothering ??? .. yet I still loved her and CRAVED some form of love from her, she gave away every thing that I ever acquired as a gift, but i was clever and made my own stuff then hid it. I just don't 'get it' .. how can one "hate" their child. I absolutely adore my kids .. they are my world. Love Joy.

judy, komokwa, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  16. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Christmasjoy Jane Goodall is still alive. So GLAD that you rose above your mother's lack of parenting skills!

I had an aunt that was a kindergarten teacher - a terrific one I must say. She was the most UNCARING mother to her only child you would ever (not) care to meet.

17. Christmasjoy

Wasn't she the woman who got hacked to death in her small cabin in the wilds .. killed by poachers I believe ?? I must have her mixed up with someone else .. someone PLEASE correct me so I know who that was.. I was sure she worked with gorillas.

judy, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, heavens, Joy! I am so, so sorry! What a horrendous experience for you!

It is ever so obvious that you must have overcome her "issues" (and, yes, there HAD to have been something wrong in her mind for her to have reacted to the birth of a daughter in that way!) and became a loving, caring parent yourself.

NO parent is ever "perfect", but admittedly. some are far worse than others... Those of us who have overcome the "bad" and moved on to give our own children what we ourselves missed out on as children simply HAVE to be better parents for it!

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. wiscbirddog

Dian Fossey is who you are thinking about Joy.

judy, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  20. wiscbirddog

Draft saved Draft deleted