Big stoneware piece with a dragon, fish, and unknown script

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Jan 6, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

So I've seen stoneware like this, but never with the writing mine has. Been a while since I researched it, though. Thought I'd share and see if anyone recognizes the 20- pounder. Thanks!
    IMG_20200106_122826.jpg IMG_20200106_122858.jpg IMG_20200106_122951.jpg IMG_20200106_123022.jpg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These used be sold in Chinatown as egg pots, this one looks Thai maybe?

judy, Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx for the quick reply, blooey. Perhaps Thai. Eggs? As in Ostrich? Lol! Which Chinatown, BTW?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, judy, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Dude,
    The container used to hold 1000 year old eggs. They were not a 1000 years old usually a month old. They were shipped in layers of straw. I have had several of these "packing crates". They were all the rage in the 70s and 80s.
    greg

judy, dude and blooey like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nonsense - it's only $249 delivery within 50 miles (seriously?!?) - this one runs around $500 in Bangkok:

https://paulsantiques.com/shop/ceramics/dragon-pot/#.XhPTJ0dKhPZ

~Cheryl

judy and dude like this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Just noticed it got a wad of chewing gum underneath. Must have been when I brought it outside today and set it in the driveway for a sec. Those kids are gonna
    Neat, Greg! Thx for sharing!

8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

9. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

My Wife is Thai and she says it is a company name (no English translation) and underneath is "Laht Buri" (a city) and phone number.

dude, Any Jewelry, judy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

she may perhaps know when they had those numbers by that length ?

dude and judy like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of these, bought empty in our local Chinese hypermarket, once the eggs were unpacked. They're not expensive, but make really good planters.

dude and judy like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

But if you put them on Chairish, or 1st Dibs, or in a fancy antique shop, then you can ask a small fortune, and add freaky high shipping/delivery charges, too ('asking' isn't 'selling') - Bear, get those out of your garden and into some high-end London shop, they should be nicely 'aged' now...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    dude likes this.
  13. gregsglass

Hi,
    Back when I was buying and selling in Manhattan I would go to Chinatown and buy three or four of these containers for 10 bucks each. The grocery man would be so glad to get rid of them since he had to pay to have them hauled away. I would clean them up and they would sell for 75 to 200 each. It was a win win situation. The grocery made money and did not have to pay to get rid of them. I made money and the decorators made money. It was a shame when China started using cardboard to send things over here. I miss those pots. I used to keep a lamp or a plant on them.
    Some were so huge I was not able to lift them but there was always somebody around to put them into the taxi for a buck or two.
    greg

dude and DragonflyWink like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I swear if I sold my garden ornaments I'd make a fortune! I've SIX old chimney pots, all of which were freebies, from locals doing up houses. Three of those egg pots, which cost no more than a fiver. And eight reconstituted stone urns - a friend of my dad's made them, forty years ago. They are gorgeously mossy and weathered now.

dude and DragonflyWink like this.
  15. gregsglass

Hi OBB,
    I bought a chimney pot for my house when I redid it. I paid 275 dollars for it had to drive over 100 miles round trip. It was only 2 ft high but weighed almost 70 lbs. Then I had to find someone strong enough to climb up a two story ladder carrying the dang thing and place it in the chimney.
    greg

16. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Awesome, Thanks very much to both of you!

Draft saved Draft deleted