Bird Brooch Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by golddazzler, Dec 30, 2018.

1. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

fullsizeoutput_1ce8.jpeg Hi, I found a lovely bird brooch in an auction lot.
    There are no hallmarks or signatures and it is slightly magnetic, fullsizeoutput_1ce8.jpeg but it is a lovely thing. It has a trombone clasp in the shape of a hand. Has anyone seen this before?

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome golddazzler.
    No, I haven't, but I love it. I'd be tempted to wear the brooch back to front.:)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, golddazzler. I have never seen anything at all creative done with a clasp, an extravagant touch, given that only the wearer gets to see it. I'll take lack of hallmark & slightly magnetic to indicate it is definitely fashion rather than fine jewellery. But wondering if it is not a replica of a design that was first made using the real stuff.

6. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

Thanks All,

It really is a lovely brooch. I was so surprised when I realised that the clasp was a hand. I didn't mention that the press itself is heart shaped. The finisk on the back is very detailed too. i will post another picture>
    PS apologies for any duplication...Im new to forums and posting!

7. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

8. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F676ADB7-2A8A-4762-BD90-0CF48B5CD9D1.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Golddazzler!
    You can goto Edit, More Options, check box for Full size All Images, Save Changes. We can see this better. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have snagged that too on general principles. Someone put a pile of work into it. I just wish we knew who; that sort of work deserves credit.

11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

kyratango, Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have snarfed that too. And keep it. Lovely quality.

13. Any Jewelry

I have never seen it before, but I do know the Russians made their own style c-clasp (an extension on the curl) and they also use a lot of that lattice work like on the bird's body.
    Other than that this doesn't strike me as a Russian piece.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  14. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

Thanks All,

I was wondering if the design clasp itself could be an identifier/signature. I will keep looking to see if I can find something like it and will let you know if i do. Please let me know if you come across anything :)

15. Any Jewelry

We will. And thank you so much for showing us.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BOTH sides.............BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!:):):):):singing: OOOPS.....and WELCOME, @golddazzler !!!

zzzzzfullsizeoutput_1ce3.jpg

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@golddazzler, just a quick question.....if you have a loupe, do you think the area I have circled could have anything to do with a maker's mark? I realize it could just be an indentation, but who knows!!!

zzzzzullsizeoutput_1ce8.jpg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  18. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Hello. What a lovely brooch. It's so hard to track down a piece with no marks but I have a lot of fun looking. I came across this fellow made by Marcel Boucher in the

1940s presumably. Bird brooch.jpg The tail and the pave diamond work look similar ??

19. golddazzler

golddazzler New Member

Thanks Aquitaine....Sadly it is just an indent. And thanks Lucille I have had a look at a few more like the attached. I am back at work now so have less time but will keep looking and let you all know if I find out anything else. Thanks again all ....Happy new Year everyone!

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted