Bird Cage Stand 5809 Pat Applied For

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jen and George, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find out any information about this bird cage stand that I can. The bottom is marked 5809 pat applied for. Is there any way to find out a date or a manufacturer from just that information? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

3. Jen and George

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You know, I don't think the number has anything to do with the patent application, but rather is the maker's design or item number. Really no way to date the stand (or even just the base) from the patent DB from that number alone.

5. Jen and George

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping to be able to get some idea of who made this. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The cast iron work looks typically late 19th C. and as for the maker, some men in a shed will have to do for that.

In almost all cases of antique odds and ends, the maker is generally immaterial, George Johnson or John Jorgensen, both are equally forgotten, as people and artisans.

All that is left is the artifact. In the late 20th,early 21st century brand and maker is everything, and makes a huge difference to perceived value in many cases.

With antiques, with the exception of a few famous names in each field, it makes no real difference to anything which forgotten name is on the maker's invoice.

What matters is how well is it designed and made, how good does it look, and what might someone use it for today.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Jen and George

Well said.