Featured Birmingham Marks, 2nd - Nth Opinions

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bronwen, Nov 19, 2018.

?

Which Z is this?

1. 1924

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1899

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The marks on this small silver box are pretty clear, but I'm having trouble coming to a firm conclusion about date and maker. OK, here goes.

Diana box lid.jpg Diana box hinge.jpg Diana box hallmarks 1.jpg Diana box hallmarks 2.jpg

The marks are all in a single row, in the order shown. Some of you probably don't even have to check a reference site. She's the Diana of Versailles. That's the only bit of solid ground for me.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1899 on the date, definitely. John Wilmot. Cartouche is right, as is the font, and they made small fancies.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, 1899 and John Wilmot, JW in two touching circles/ovals.

4. Bronwen

Think it was sold as 1924, maker unspecified. Thank you both & to anyone else who took a look. My mother was fond of a different saying, but, to riff on it, just goes to show six eyes are better than two, even if two are potato eyes. :happy:

5. Bronwen

I should add that the cameo itself does not look like it is from 1924, but a cameo and its mount do not have to be contemporaneous, and there could have been someone in 1924 still working in an older style, perhaps mainly as a supplier to makers of luxury goods.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Bronwen, that is lovely.
    Patd

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Thank you. I do not have too many cameos that are not set as jewellery or intended to be. This may well be my favorite of these decorative objects. It adds so much when a piece can actually be assigned to a maker, so I am very grateful to have the phenomenal resource of this site available.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Bronwen

Draft saved Draft deleted