Featured Bisque porcelain and bronze dresser box/casket - spurious? Sevres mark.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Jan 29, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

About 11" wide at the handles, main body is about 8" wide. 7" wide in the interior. Almost 6" high to top of the lid.

Lid has a putto in a goat drawn carriage, with a couple of other attending, one blowing a horn and the third behind along with a grapevine? Maybe @Brownwen could clue me in if this is a particular scene. I'm sure it must have some symbology that is lost on me :) The lid clasp is the head of a bearded man. The hinge is starting to separate at the back, only one ring is still attached to the hinge enclosure on the bottom. The inside of the lid is highly reflective brass or bronze. Maybe was meant to act as a mirror. There are 4 small screws on the inside of the lid.

The base has an inscribed double L "Sevres" mark - which I'm going to assume is spurious. I haven't found any other marks yet. Seems "old" to me, perhaps at least actually antique, but I dont' know where to go from there. Maybe 19th century Limoges area? I have no idea - anyone have a better idea?

Tried to get some good pics but I think I might do better in some daylight tomorrow. Here it is:

33038282498_86517f49b1_kdev.jpg 46913622701_ac175d0201_kdev.jpg 46913621651_f54166d8c9_kdev.jpg 46861409042_8e5b9d25cb_kdev.jpg 31972494907_254781f555_kdev.jpg 39948806763_6efc6ca9cf_kdev.jpg 46188560844_14cd899d2c_kdev.jpg 33038057308_642deae557_kdev.jpg 46861409182_6303cea21f_kdev.jpg

2. aaroncab

3. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

If you search for Limoges or French bisque jewelry casket, you'll find several with similar design. Yours looks older and better quality than most shown. I can't speak to the Sevres mark.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Very nice piece Aaron:) I not an expert, but the mark looks odd to me, I wonder if this is a Samson piece? I was watching a show on Samson and the pieces they made with various company marks, seems there is a market for these pieces.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You could see it as putti playing at the Triumph (procession) of Bacchus/Dionysus or as the Genius of B/D. If the guy who forms the clasp has grape leaves around his head, then Bacchus himself (the Greeks usually depicted Dionysus as youthful). If he's just shaggy, then another member of the revel rout, Silenus.

This:
    genius-of-bacchus-1.jpg

Instead of this:
    Triumph of Bacchus satyrs adj.jpg

Silenus progresses on his poor, put-upon ass:

Drunken Silenus cameo after A.jpg

dude, Figtree3, scoutshouse and 6 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

Thanks CX! - I've seen the Samson name pop up here and there while researching Sevres - I'll see if i can find any comparable.

dude, scoutshouse, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. aaroncab

Thanks Bronwen! I knew you could shed some light on the scene :) I'm not detecting any grapevines on the clasp fella - So we'll go with Silenus for him.

dude, scoutshouse, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  9. aaroncab

Thanks Ascot!

10. Bronwen

This is in the same vein:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/372565358939

Sort of:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/352330027638

It looks like Sevres made boxes & Sevres made items in white bisque, but a search for 'Sevres bisque box' turns up only this one. It looks old, that hinge probably contains info on age for someone who knows how to read it. Also looks well made, so...?

11. aaroncab

Agree on all of the above - my hesitation in calling it Sevres comes from reading in about a dozen places online to assume all Sevres marks you might run across are most likely not genuine - until proven otherwise - so don't want to jump to any positive ID.

12. aaroncab

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yes, very true:) The Sevres mark without the date letter in the centre was in use until 1754, maybe something to have checked out by someone that would know for sure?

14. Bronwen

About which they say:
    'The bottom of the pedestal is also marked with the interlaced 'L' for the Sevres manufactory.'
    upload_2019-1-29_12-23-2.png

But then, this site:
    https://www.figurines-sculpture.com/sevres-marks.html

has this to say about that:

'Look out particularly for the examples of Emile Samson's copies of Sevres, Worcester, Meissen and Chelsea, made in the 1800's.'

Do not see the crossed Ls with a P in the middle identified as a genuine Sevres mark anywhere. So, maybe one of any number of faux Sevres marks used by Samson Edme. Think cxgirl started down the right path.

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Bronwen, the title and the listing states it is a Samson piece so I don't think they meant to fool anyone:)
    The pedestal was created by the ceramics firm Samson, Edme et Cie, one of the most important French porcelain makers of the 19th Century, renowned for their works in the style of Sevres and Meissen.
    Samson was in production from 1845-1969

16. Bronwen

No, I don't think they were trying to be deceptive, but they are being confusing by not explicitly stating that the mark is in the style of Sevres, not for Sevres. Probably if you are the sort of porcelain collector who is seriously considering a purchase in that price range, you know all this stuff. They should give a thought to those who don't.

17. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

O, putti casket!

Where have you been all my life?? :angelic:

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, maybe they just made a mistake:) I would hope that by the time a buyer got to that part of the description, (having already read twice that it is by Sampson) they would realize it is a mistake and/or contact the seller to ask about it, especially in that price range:)

dude and blooey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted