Bit of help with a rug please.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by samuelcaulfield1, Sep 27, 2020.

1. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

Hi guys my wife is interested in buying this rug and wants to move at 200mph.. I don’t want to get ripped off..

As many of you are aware by now I don’t know much about much and wanted to ask you guys if this is what the lady says it is. I will be paying upwards of $1k (I know we don’t really discuss $ numbers here ).

Apparently this is a 1950s/60s gulbarjista rug from Afghanistan . Handwoven..

do these things have that kind of value and does it look like what I said above ??
    38E27189-5766-4057-B2A6-DE2B37F44013.jpeg 64D2DDAF-A9A4-40EF-85E5-4C0325BA903F.jpeg B3A02660-1DCF-46E0-B672-1B07DF16F25D.jpeg 41DBA397-C7E0-46D7-A89C-61CBE2BCED11.jpeg BE13B4E5-573E-42C1-AECD-BFA3F9DF1BA3.jpeg 3D1CB8F5-74FD-4B15-A41E-D7510A3DFF16.jpeg

thanks a lot!

2. samuelcaulfield1

Size is 6 foot x 9 foot 5’

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my only comment....
    it looks kind of new...
    & i wouldn't pay a grand for a rug that wasn't at least 6 x 8 feet....or silk.....or appraised by a well known rug dealer...

so...size is good.......but gee that looks new???

judy, kyratango and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  4. samuelcaulfield1

5. komokwa

upload_2020-9-27_14-46-58.jpeg

this says gulbarjista.....???
    big diff in the fringe..

Attached Files:

judy and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  6. komokwa

Yer welcome......... I'm no expert.....but it is a damn pretty rug......and good room size....& looks hand made....
    but unless u truly know it's origin....and date......it's not an investment ....
    Can you get her down a couple of hundred ????
    I mean...cash is still King.....specially now !

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The fringe on Sam's wife's rug of desire looks like it is sewn on, instead of being an integral part of the weaving. A flat weave rug, right?

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Very nice rug. It would be described as a "soumak", a technique that is heavier than a plain kilim and more time consuming to produce. This is one of the reasons they may command a higher price than other flatwoven rugs. The fringe looks like it is made of the warp threads, gathered and knotted, which is a traditional technique. I am not familiar with the term "gulbarjista", and found only one reference to it (beyond the one @komokwa found) in connection with a Baluchi rug.
    You could try a search for "Afghan soumaks" to find comparative prices.

judy, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. samuelcaulfield1

Thanks a lot guys :happy::happy::happy:

judy and komokwa like this.
  10. samuelcaulfield1

As always so generous with your great knowledge and advice. Really appreciate it guys and gals !

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  11. samuelcaulfield1

BTW it sold.. and not to us.. doh lol

judy and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

No worries mate.......there are MANY others out there !!!!!!!!
    I'm sure you'll have one underfoot when the time is right !!!:happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted